Sign in to follow this  
Tiger fan

First time hunting in AZ - unit 33

Me and a buddy drew tags for unit 33 the first week of December.  We have never hunted in AZ and are in South Carolina so going out to scout really isn't an option. 

I'm looking for some general info to get started planning the trip.  Ideally, we would like to go somewhere that we can backpack in a few miles, set up a base camp, and hunt from there. We are willing (and want) to put in some miles to get away from any crowded areas and do a lot of glassing. I have some (actually a lot) of questions to start planning and would appreciate any advice. 

Can we backpack in and camp where we choose or do we have to stay in designated campgrounds?

Are there any general areas with good trail systems that we should look into (we are not asking for specific honey holes)?  I imagine our hunting will be off trail but having a trail for packing in all the gear would be easier.  We are are willing to go off trail for everything if it is feasible/necessary.  We will have a 2WD truck, not sure if that will limit our options. 

Are there places with good sources of water or should we pack it all in?

What type of temperatures should we expect?

Where can I buy a good paper map?

We really appreciate any advice you have for first time AZ hunters. 

Thanks,

Daniel

Reddington road, find a good hill side 8-10 miles off and start walking. Bring as much water as you can carry. Might be water or might not be. Depends on the rains. It will get well below freezing at night and be 80+ possibly during the day. Bring shelter for snow and for warmer nights. Basically what I’m saying.... it’s a crap shoot. Watch the weather close.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site. You can camp where ever you want.

Trails are where you make them, only hiker use trails and there are a few hiking books with trails but local hunters just go cross country to where ever we want to go.

Weather will be 25 to 45 at night and 35 degrees warmer during the day.

Maps can be bought from the National Forest Service or some of the online map services. Walking will be like walking in a rock quarry. You can't put your foot down without stepping on rocks, pebbles sand, snakes etc.

One of you really should come out to look over the unit and get the lay of the land so to speak and just split that cost so you can see what you'll be up against.

Look at the azgfd website under where to hunt it will give you a good starting point or a few . As far as maps you can get forest service maps or flat line maps or use onx. Good luck awesome unit 

Tons of places all over the unit that hold deer. It's a big unit so pick an area (I'd read the AZ Game and Fish description of the unit) and hunt that area your entire hunt. There are 4 hunts plus archery OTC hunts before yours, so it may be a little tougher to find deer than normal. Good luck, bring good optics, glass hard, and be patient. Coues are quite the challenge. 

There’s actually 5 hunts, plus youth hunt, plus muzzleloader hunt, plus archery! Best unit in the state, but way way way too many tags given for 33, which is a dang shame

• Like 1

Pm me with your info or questions and I will help you get started. Always tough going to a new state especially that far away.

A good resource would be the jay scott outdoor podcast on hunting and glassing tactics.  Never a bad idea to get well off the road, but sometimes you don't have to if you employ patience and a good glassing practice. 

Great time to be in AZ that time of the year, but as everyones mentioned it could be warm and it could be nasty cold, you never know. I would say 65 for the high and 28 for the low but that could be 10-15 degrees in any direction. 

30 minutes ago, Brooktrout26 said:

A good resource would be the jay scott outdoor podcast on hunting and glassing tactics.  Never a bad idea to get well off the road, but sometimes you don't have to if you employ patience and a good glassing practice. 

Many, many years ago, I had a permit in 34A and had never hunted it. So before the season opened Duwane met me early one morning at the rest area on I19. We drove about 1/2 way up the road to the observatory and parked in a wide spot along the guard rail.  Our tripods were set up so we were looking over the rail at one long canyon and ridge. By 10 a.m, we had spotted a bunch of deer, including a Booner that came up and crossed the road just above us. I couldn't find him again when the hunt was on, however. 

• Like 1