Sign in to follow this  
Swivelhead

What Kind of Snake?

A friend of mine found this snake inside her home this morning.  I do not know what it is, suspect it is very young as it is small.   Any ideas? 

Snake.jpg

Looks to be a very juvenile ring neck snake 

they get more color to them as they get bigger can grow up to 3ft mildly venomous but it is used to subdue prey harmless to humans 

• Like 1

Worm snake. We used to catch them by the dozens in NM as a kid. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 360 0r Better said:

Looks to be a very juvenile ring neck snake 

they get more color to them as they get bigger can grow up to 3ft mildly venomous but it is used to subdue prey harmless to humans 

I agree.  Not all "ring-necked Snakes" have the ring behind the head.  If it is, It should get some color on the belly as it matures.  

Also, could be a black-headed snake depending on where she lives.  Smith's (most common and widespread), Plains, Chihuahuan, or Yaqui.  

Either way, Good snake=do not kill.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I agree.  Not all "ring-necked Snakes" have the ring behind the head.  If it is, It should get some color on the belly as it matures.  

Also, could be a black-headed snake depending on where she lives.  Smith's (most common and widespread), Plains, Chihuahuan, or Yaqui.  

Either way, Good snake=do not kill.

In addition to being an extremely knowledgable reloader, Lance is a great herpetologist!  He's absolutely correct.  Its definitely a Tantilla (black-headed snake genus).  Three  of the four species are so hard to tell apart.  The Chihuahuan is the only one that stands out, due to the white ring behind the black.  If you're in the valley, its Tantilla hobartsmithi (Smith's).

• Like 3