Sign in to follow this  
ACfixer

Hello from Commiefornia!

Hey folks! I didn't see an intro forum so I thought I'd gather around the campfire. Drew my first AZ coues tag this year, going along with a guy that's punched 11 times in the unit so I'm pretty excited about it...

I look forwarding to reading up here and getting some of your knowledge.

Thanks, Lance.

• Like 1

Welcome to the site!!  You have definitely come to the right place for chatter regarding coues! ;)

Good luck on your hunt this fall!

S.

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

What hunt and unit you get? Congrats.

Pretty sure it's unit 32 second week. I am truly blessed that one of the guys has drawn 11 times and punched every time, told me his grandfather taught him how to hunt this area when he was a teenager and has great success. No reason to doubt him, he seems like a square guy and he's got heads on the wall. He told me to get ready to pay a taxidermist and eat some deer. He made me promise to get in shape for hunting 10-15 miles each day over loose terrain and if I can shoot straight he said I'm not going to go without taking a quality shot.

I'm really jazzed about this guys, I'm 57 and this is the first public land deer hunt I've done in at least 35 years. I finally decided to quit making excuses, I am going to take every tag I can get and travel wherever. We don't live forever, I've worked my tail off and now it's time to do it. I'll be moving from Kalifornistan to Tennessee in a year or less and look forward to a lot better opportunities out east and several trips back to the West, just not THIS far west.

• Like 1

If you're walking 15 miles a day in 32 you're not glassing enough. It would take you 10 hours to go 15 miles. 4 to 5 a day 👌.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AZkiller said:

If you're walking 15 miles a day in 32 you're not glassing enough. It would take you 10 hours to go 15 miles. 4 to 5 a day 👌.

Duly noted... he said 5+ miles each way, but he may just be trying to make sure I'm in shape. He said a few miles in from camp (near Klondyke?) before we glass...  We've all gone down that road with guys that aren't in shape for the hunt right? I don't blame him for having his concerns, we've never hunted together before... but I'm not a road hunter.

How do you guys feel about my rifle? Rem 700 VTR in .308 with a 3x10 Leupold VxII. I was thinking of putting a good 4.5 x 14 on it for this hunt. I have other options, but I have yet to meet any animal that liked the taste of a 150g slug out of any rifle.

2 hours ago, ACfixer said:

Duly noted... he said 5+ miles each way, but he may just be trying to make sure I'm in shape. He said a few miles in from camp (near Klondyke?) before we glass...  We've all gone down that road with guys that aren't in shape for the hunt right? I don't blame him for having his concerns, we've never hunted together before... but I'm not a road hunter.

How do you guys feel about my rifle? Rem 700 VTR in .308 with a 3x10 Leupold VxII. I was thinking of putting a good 4.5 x 14 on it for this hunt. I have other options, but I have yet to meet any animal that liked the taste of a 150g slug out of any rifle.

Welcome to CWT. Nothing wrong with having more scope power, you should do fine with the setup you have though.

2 hours ago, ACfixer said:

Yes I'm sure that's the case. I like power myself so I would say 6.5 - 20 at a minimum. 8.5-25 is what I have on my coues gun.

5 hours ago, ACfixer said:

About any rifle will do so long as you can shoot it well out to 3 to 400 yds. Glass quality is more important than power. 14 power will be plenty and a Leopold VX-3 would be a very minimum as far as quality. Coues will vanish into almost nothing, especially with bad optics.

Welcome to the site and good luck. Where in TN are you moving? I grew up there...lots of private land but also lots of deer. 

14 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Welcome to the site and good luck. Where in TN are you moving? I grew up there...lots of private land but also lots of deer. 

Eastern, Johnson City area... I'm certainly not opposed to private land hunting, might even buy my own. 🙂

Thanks everyone, yeah I'll grab some nicer glass. Most of the hunting I've done has been 200 yards and in.

• Like 1

The best advice I got when I first started hunting Coues was "sore butts and tired eyes".  Best of luck on the hunt.

• Like 3

Sounds like you are in good hands with your friend.  I'd be sure to have some good 12 or 15x binos on a tripod, and a foam pad to sit on too.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

Sounds like you are in good hands with your friend.  I'd be sure to have some good 12 or 15x binos on a tripod, and a foam pad to sit on too.

How do you guys feel about rangefining bino's? Say something in the $1,000-$1,500 area? One thing trying to do the job of two things and a mediocre on at that (like most combo stuff), or one less piece of gear to carry?

12 minutes ago, ACfixer said:

How do you guys feel about rangefining bino's? Say something in the $1,000-$1,500 area? One thing trying to do the job of two things and a mediocre on at that (like most combo stuff), or one less piece of gear to carry?

You might find some old Leicas for that. The ranch owner in Sonora had a pair this past spring. They were on par with my Sig Kilo.