Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

AZ Black Rattlesnake color change

A friend sent me a pic of this AZ Black rattlesnake the other day and it got me wondering, how big or old do they get before they darken up?  I have never found one over 3' that wasn't very dark to totally black.

She said it was a little over 3'. (She's been around LOTS of snakes so I believe her)

It almost looks like it could be a female that recently dropped a litter.

So, what's the biggest you have found prior to them darkening up?

cropped.jpg

Those black rattlers are vicious. Most aggressive snakes i’ve ever been around

• Like 3

I've seen one in 6B and another in 8, both were 3-4' and almost totally black in color.

Usually by around 3 feet long, they are starting to morph from the light color to the dark; however, that's a big "usually".  As with all wildlife, they don't follow the literature that is written about them.  AZ blacks have also been shown to change colors with temperature changes.  The dark will disappear with cold and then darken back up as the snake warms back up.

A female that recently had a litter is plausible, especially with the temp/color change.  A female Cerberus will stay with her neonates and protect them for up to two weeks.  If she has not moving far, then it makes sense that she's not really thermoregulating and, therefore, not as dark as she normally would be.

• Like 1

I remember killing one back in the 60s up in Oak Creek that measured 6’10” and weighed almost 18lbs not a guess it was tapped and weighed and it was so dark you had a hard time seeing the diamond shapes on it

35 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

I remember killing one back in the 60s up in Oak Creek that measured 6’10” and weighed almost 18lbs not a guess it was tapped and weighed and it was so dark you had a hard time seeing the diamond shapes on it

Wow!  If you run across one that big again, keep it. It's worth some $$$.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tomgobbler said:

This one wasn’t very dark 

4A6DB434-FE2C-4824-8CAE-8F9D05AB3ADD.jpeg

B4A97453-684E-418F-8544-CD0C12641F4D.jpeg

That looks like a diamond-backed.  The coon tail, pattern, and low elevation veg type are consistent with that species.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Those black rattlers are vicious. Most aggressive snakes i’ve ever been around

I have seen quite a few of these on the Graham mountains between 4000 and about 6000 feet. Average of maybe 3 feet. They have all been dark, and extremely aggressive compared to blacktails or diamondbacks, even Mojaves.

What i dont like about them is they are the same color as a pine branch. Stepped on one years ago and thats why i quit wearing sunglasses !

7 hours ago, IA Born said:

Usually by around 3 feet long, they are starting to morph from the light color to the dark; however, that's a big "usually".  As with all wildlife, they don't follow the literature that is written about them.  AZ blacks have also been shown to change colors with temperature changes.  The dark will disappear with cold and then darken back up as the snake warms back up.

A female that recently had a litter is plausible, especially with the temp/color change.  A female Cerberus will stay with her neonates and protect them for up to two weeks.  If she has not moving far, then it makes sense that she's not really thermoregulating and, therefore, not as dark as she normally would be.

Is there any science behind their aggression? Many that I have been around did not mess around. The only snakes that have ever run me out of a canyon bottom.

Used to have several of them for many years...biggest one was 44" and as fat as a tennis ball.  My favorite species!

I wasn’t saying it was a “black” rattler , I was just showing how big it was - hate them nasty things . 

45 minutes ago, tomgobbler said:

I wasn’t saying it was a “black” rattler , I was just showing how big it was - hate them nasty things . 

It's all good. As long as you don't call it a Timber rattlesnake!

I have kept a few of the AZ Blacks, Cerberus, and they do tend to be a bit on the cranky side. They are usually standing up glaring at me as I leave the area.

I think they are oddly beautiful and the larger ones are quite impressive.