Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

AZ Black Rattlesnake color change

11 hours ago, tomgobbler said:

I wasn’t saying it was a “black” rattler , I was just showing how big it was - hate them nasty things . 

My bad.  I was under the impression you were stating it was a big AZ black.

13 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Is there any science behind their aggression? Many that I have been around did not mess around. The only snakes that have ever run me out of a canyon bottom.

I've never seen any scientific studies relating to the aggressive nature of any snakes.  I've only ever encountered one juveline Cerberus and it was pretty laid back.  My research was on Mojaves and that's a species that definitely held its ground and was willing to strike (all defensively) as opposed to sit quietly or remove itself from the situation like most others I encountered.  I released a research specimen back once after collecting blood and venom and it turned immediately, struck at me three times and had me jumping on the bumper of my wife's (then girlfriend) jeep.  The better documented research is how many rattlesnakes of all species use passive defense.  Its well documented that they'll sit quietly and let larger, non-prey threats walk right by without every rattling or making a noise.

• Wow! 1

Interesting. I ran into my first one coming off Mount Lemmon last summer. It was curled up right on the trail in the dark just as a huge monsoon storm was rolling in. It didn't seem to mind me being there. Just calmly made its way off the trail in to the brush after a minute. Definitely a very cool looking animal but not one I really want to stumble on again in the dark.

We were walking thru some super thick ferns on sunday at about 6000 foot elevation and couldn't even see are feet when we had one light up that sounded like he was within a foot of my son. Looked just about like he was walking on air coming back up the hill. Never saw it but assumed it was probably a black for where we were at.  

seen quite a few in 23

the greenbacks and around bar x.

several of the ones we encountered over the last decade were an olive green and a couple the green hue was quite bright. Won a bet with someone claiming it was a Mohave.

walking in hip high grass going to check cams and a tank by the hippie ranch, the rattling at my feet sent shivers up my leg and if I'm not mistaken I was gay for about a minute or so....at least the scream I let out sounded that way. I really need some snake guards!

Also several black tail rattlers around the bar x.

james

Almost stepped on one in 5A about a month ago while walking to the Rim for a pic. Thought it was the shadow from a rock (I was wearing sunglasses) next to a downed log. I kicked the log to see if there was a rattler on the far side before stepping over, that SOB rattled 8" from my leg. It was like 60* at the time, so I think it was still pretty lethargic. It went under the log and out of my life. Worst part was I was ahead of my snake broke dog and Gf, I guess Boone reacted but by the time we noticed him, the snake already my its presence known

The first one I saw was at Big Bug below Mt. Union. I was scouting on atv and it was on the road just moving along. Cool to watch.