Flatlander

6 - 400” bulls - Can it be done?

11 hours ago, kwp said:

The tags go from 8/15 to 8/14 of the following year.  There are 2 auction tags and 1 raffle each year.  With last year's growth being so bad none of the tag holders for 2018-2019 had killed until the last few weeks. The 2019-2020 tags start in a couple weeks so we'll likely see a few more monsters hit the dirt

Great Bulls, but I really wish the AZGFD would start and end the Auction/Raffle tag hunts in May. Basically giving all of these hunters two season's to harvest a Huge buck or Bull...

1 minute ago, Steve O said:

Where are the auction tags raffled?  National RMEF and ???

Well none of the auction tags are raffled, they are in fact auctioned. Assuming that’s what you meant it can change year to year but typically the RMEF gets one to auction at their banquet and AES gets one to auction at their banquet.

Probably the biggest question mark is the recent super raffle winner. He is from Nebraska and just found out about his tag. I wonder if he will be able to get his stuff together fast enough to come out before they strip velvet and move for the rut.

I know if I were in his shoes I would want to take the whole month of September and chase bugling elk the whole time. But almost all of these guys end up killing a giant velvet bull.

Yeah sorry for the typo...auctioned.

I make it a point to watch the super raffle drawing live stream; that guy was not as excited as I would have been. I would definitely hunt on my own for the last 10 days of September and into October and then if necessary hire a guide for one of the big velvet bulls the following summer. 

3 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Well none of the auction tags are raffled, they are in fact auctioned. Assuming that’s what you meant it can change year to year but typically the RMEF gets one to auction at their banquet and AES gets one to auction at their banquet.

This past yr AES had one of the tags and AMDO had the other. Next yr I believe AES has both tags to auction.

i wonder what the count is now, gotta be a dozen or more 400" bulls killed in AZ so far.

has there ever been a year where there was more 400s killed than 2019? couldnt have been. 

• Like 1

About to post up another one. Possibly a top 5 longhunter society bull.

• Like 1

Before social media we usually had a few in each unit, and those were the ones we knew about...it seems like quite a few this year but in all seriousness I doubt it is better than say 2006 or late 90s but I'm not sure. Very difficult to compare. All i know it was a pretty good year for 3c and it was behind most of the best units.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

Before social media we usually had a few in each unit, and those were the ones we knew about...it seems like quite a few this year but in all seriousness I doubt it is better than say 2006 or late 90s but I'm not sure. Very difficult to compare. All i know it was a pretty good year for 3c and it was behind most of the best units.

Usually a few 400s in each unit eh? How did social media make it so there isn’t a few in each unit anymore?