Sign in to follow this  
Black_Flag

FIRST TAG

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

Look up lots of old threads on glassing.  And firt timer threads.  Do you have a budget to work with?  I highly recomend the tripod and a pair of 15s.  There are budget options out there but id get the best you can afford.  You can event rent optics for hunts.  

Renting big glass is the way to go for just one hunt. 1/10th the price of new and you get the latest every year for the hunt.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:26 PM, CatfishKev said:

Look up lots of old threads on glassing.  And firt timer threads.  Do you have a budget to work with?  I highly recomend the tripod and a pair of 15s.  There are budget options out there but id get the best you can afford.  You can event rent optics for hunts.  

I feel I have a respectable budget, but starting from near no equipment it complicates things a bit. I was hoping to prioritize as best I could, then get more etc near year. I was planning on picking up a pair of Razor 10x42’s, a 300 winmag with either a vortex Or Leupold 4x16, and a pair of hunting boots (Schnee’s and Crispi’s have my attention). 

Haven't considered a tripod. 

So far, so good.  You seem to have avoided the trap set for newbies around here.   Most newbies start by asking "where to start looking?".   That question will leave you with a new hole out your backside.  Either somebody is guiding you in the right direction or you have good instincts.  I am guessing probably both.  That is good. 

I am no expert, not even close, but one thing I have picked up on that is different than other types of big game.  That is, with Coues, a hunter is rewarded by slowing down and being extremely patient.

With mule deer and elk, you glass a hill and you don't see anything, you move along.   In the same situation, a coues hunter might be rewarded by making themselves comfortable and keep glassing.  I know I have stared at a slope until I thought I'd looked at every inch of it multiple times.  Then suddenly, out of nowhere, there's a coues standing there.  Then another and another.  And so on.

By the way, Henry's spoken word is awesome, too.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MT_Sourdough said:

So far, so good.  You seem to have avoided the trap set for newbies around here.   Most newbies start by asking "where to start looking?".   That question will leave you with a new hole out your backside.  Either somebody is guiding you in the right direction or you have good instincts.  I am guessing probably both.  That is good. 

I am no expert, not even close, but one thing I have picked up on that is different than other types of big game.  That is, with Coues, a hunter is rewarded by slowing down and being extremely patient.

With mule deer and elk, you glass a hill and you don't see anything, you move along.   In the same situation, a coues hunter might be rewarded by making themselves comfortable and keep glassing.  I know I have stared at a slope until I thought I'd looked at every inch of it multiple times.  Then suddenly, out of nowhere, there's a coues standing there.  Then another and another.  And so on.

By the way, Henry's spoken word is awesome, too.

Thanks for the input, I’ll keep it in mind when scouting.