Couzer

Towing Behind a 5th wheel laws?

Toying around on buying a 5th wheel and towing my Ranger Crew behind it. Anyone done this and is there laws on how long and heavy you can be. I think I read somewhere that you couldn’t be over 65 ft total length? 

9CD79588-A248-480D-85D4-AFE20B41CA16.jpeg

Each state has different laws so research the states you plan to travel to. The first trailer has to be 5th wheel or gooseneck. Dont try and back up 2 trailers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://phoenixtowingservice.com/car-safety-tips/arizona-trailer-towing-laws/

Length, Width, Height

The size limitations for towing a trailer in Arizona are as follows. The height cannot exceed 13.5 feet. The width limit is 8.5 feet.

Length limits are specific if less straightforward. For a trailer, 40 feet is the maximum. For a motor home, 45 feet is the maximum length allowed. However, the combined length of the vehicle that is towing and the vehicle or vehicles being towed cannot exceed 65 feet. Triple towing is permitted but only under certain circumstances. You can triple tow with a fifth wheel trailer, provided the overall length of all three vehicles is 65 feet or less.

Brakes and Weight

A trailer that has an unladen weight, meaning an as-delivered from the factory weight with empty tanks and without any personal goods loaded in, of 3,000 pounds or more must have trailer brakes. A breakaway switch is a requirement on trailers that weigh more than 3,000 pounds.

Trailer Passengers

Arizona is one of only 11 states in the United States that permits riding in all of the following: a towed fifth wheel trailer, a travel trailer and a pickup camper.

State Rest Areas

Overnight parking is permitted in state rest areas only where posted and provided the state rest area is open. In Arizona as of 2010, 13 of the state’s 18 rest areas that are operated by Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) are closed. The following are reported as open by Arizona Vacation Planner:

Sentinel: Interstate Highway 8 between Gila Bend and Dateland Burnt Well: Interstate Highway 10 between Buckeye and Tonopah Texas Canyon: Interstate Highway 10 between Benson and Willcox Sunset Point: Interstate Highway 17 between Phoenix and Camp Verde Painted Cliffs: Interstate Highway 40 near the state border with New Mexico

• Like 3

We've been doing it for years (mostly my dad) and never worried about any laws haha.  It seems that the cops aren't super familiar with the laws on it or aren't worried about people double pulling or being over length.  You have to pretend you're driving a big rig though when it comes to planning a route and stuff though

Image-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Vowell said:

Toying around on buying a 5th wheel and towing my Ranger Crew behind it. Anyone done this and is there laws on how long and heavy you can be. I think I read somewhere that you couldn’t be over 65 ft total length? 

9CD79588-A248-480D-85D4-AFE20B41CA16.jpeg

I have the same 5th wheel in the picture.  Its possible and I look forward to buying a Ranger Crew one day.  I think I’d rather upgrade to a toy hauler at that point.  

In AZ it is doable. 65 feet max. First trailer must be a 5th wheel. Both trailers have to have electric brakes and combined both trailers cannot exceed the tow capacity of the truck. I’ve noticed AZ cops seem to be lenient on overall length, but CA cops will pull out the scales and tape measure in a heartbeat. Don’t expect to be able to back it up, so plan your parking accordingly. If your 5th wheel is newer, you will probably void the frame warranty by doing this. 

Thanks everyone for the info, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 7:31 PM, azbirdhunter88 said:

I like how that’s an F150 pulling that. 

That’s an Ecoboost baby, it’s rated for it. As long as you don’t have to stop or turn everything will be fine.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TOBY said:

never knew the riding in a trailer was legal. 

Ya learn something new every day, not sure how safe I would consider that, but......dang I may put the wife back there.  I'll keep the dogs in the cab with me though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Flatlander said:

That’s an Ecoboost baby, it’s rayed for it. As long as you don’t have to stop or turn everything will be fine.

So as long as it is parked and not moving? About all a Ford is good for anyway.  Oops. Did I just say that out loud?

• Like 1