One of the things that I can't seem to find desert specific info on yet is closing the gap when stalking up to a buck. I'm imagining I glass one up from fairly far away and get within 200-300yds if I'm lucky, but what are the main things to think about not doing (or just doing) when I'm trying to get close enough to a shot.

At the range I'm really happy with my groups at 100yds (Accura V2 LR 112g Pyrodex RS and 300g SST), so I'm guessing with nerves, excitement and wind I'm really looking at 50-75yds as my longest shot. That's pretty close!

Most desert hunts seem to be around juniper and open ground that I read or watch, but what about desert scrub mesquite. There can be so dense and so loud.

If there's anything you think I can practice while I'm scouting this summer I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Ed

Well I would recommend going out and actually do something like stalk and shoot cottontails and jack rabbits as many times as you can before your hunt. What the sole on your boots is made of can make them more or less quieter. I have a 6 year old pair of Danner Pronghorns with soft soles that are quieter than my pair of Under Armour boots.

Sound carries very far in the dry desert air. If you are on the side of a hill and there are people having a conversation you can hear them at 1000 yards no problem. Practice stalking, even if it is with a camera and if a deer sees you move it will freeze for anywhere from 30 seconds to two minutes until it figures the situation out so you will need to do the same or be prepared to raise your gun, get on target and take the shot. Each situation is different. You may have five seconds to pull it off or much longer, just depends on the individual deer. One thing I think happens more often with Coues is that once they decide to leave they will keep going until they are out of site. It's good that you are asking questions but go out and get some first hand experience and build that confidence.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

What the sole on your boots is made of can make them more or less quieter. I have a 6 year old pair of Danner Pronghorns with soft soles that are quieter than my pair of Under Armour boots.

When I went bear hunting the first time in BC in the 1980s, it was mostly spot & stalk hunting. The guide made me take off my shoes before we started a stalk. After the first day, I carried a heavy pair of wool socks to slip on over my regular ones. That worked mucho better until we hunted in the rain and wound up with socks that squished. 🤣

I later adapted that here in AZ by carrying a pair of flexible-soled mocs in my fanny pack and changed out my boots for them to do a stalk. They make it a lot easier to feel stuff under your feet that will go crunch, yet still protect your feet from sharp objects like broken cholla pods.

• Like 1

Archery javelina is a great way to get experience as well. If you dont already know about thermal currents look it up. Understanding thermals will help you to keep the wind in your face. 

5 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Archery javelina is a great way to get experience as well. If you dont already know about thermal currents look it up. Understanding thermals will help you to keep the wind in your face. 

Figured that was just common sense. But maybe not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Figured that was just common sense. But maybe not.

Fair assumption, but when I started hunting AZ  I literally had no experience.  I didn't even know about 15s and tripods, let alone thermal currents.  Whats crazy is i started with a bow when you could still kill a doe, and I still came home empty handed.  I learned a lot through failure, I look back to my first few years and laugh. I don't regret it though, I learned so much the hard way and I feel it made me a better hunter. 

• Like 2

I recommend getting more shooting practice so you can shoot farther!

3 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Thermals.... Like in long johns?   ha ha