NewlyMinted

Coues or Mule Deer

The left antler looks like a double fork, but the right antler looks like a classic big coues rack. I’m posting all images in the sequence so you can see it’s not just weird shadows.

B8BEB2ED-257E-4048-8A29-A409A480FD73.jpeg

B7BFE281-467A-44D8-9410-FE6F2266C687.jpeg

733169C0-D074-4C3E-8187-06AD269C4296.jpeg

462B21BB-6ECF-47E6-A674-219BBEA11A93.jpeg

A56C9C90-2869-40A8-8CB4-E7484756968B.jpeg

D4B550A9-FC72-486B-A07D-F511B1C3C6AA.jpeg

3x4 bucks are pretty common.  The tail and ears are the tell as grey curse pointed out.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NewlyMinted said:

What about the right antler? Doesn't that show a beam with 2 tines coming off? Looks very different to the left one that's more fork and fork

It does which is the norm for Coues with the left being typical of a 4x4 Mule deer but the tail is 100% Mule Deer.

• Like 1

Definitely a hybrid. It is impossible for a mule deer to have 3 points on either antler. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Definitely a hybrid. It is impossible for a mule deer to have 3 points on either antler. 

That’s funny. 

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

this guy cant be serious. reading posts like this makes me think i should be covered in hunter orange all fall. 

So no room for asking questions about something you're learning about? I'm just starting out and get my questions are basic, but to mix up me asking basic questions with me being safe in the field seems like a very exclusionary clique-like behavior.

I get it. I'm Stoopid. But can you please explain the b&w features on the tail that make it a muley? And how is that right antler a 3 point versus a main beam with times and a nyguard?

How are they different from this guy:

Short, skinny rope like tail, gigantic ears and a mule deer rack. Mule deer are not always forked in the front and back. Coues are not always 3-points. You asked if it was a mule deer or coues. We all told you a mule deer but you keep questioning us. 

• Like 1