broadhead

Ever regret passing on a shot?

Lately I've been thinking about previous hunts and times I've eaten my tag and started thinking back to deer I've either let pass or chosen not to pursue. I think since I came up empty in every draw this year the desire to fill a tag again crept back in and I started wondering if I could go back again would I still let those deer go by. I can honestly say I don't mind letting them walk since the vast majority have been young deer, but sometimes a guy just wants to fill a tag and bring some meat home. Anyone on here ever passed up a buck or a bull and come to regret it? I'd love to hear the story!

Yeah when I was 16 early archery bull. 2 bulls together, one was typical with huge  fronts the other was huge 7 on one side like a 400 type and the other side was just a club. I shot the typical. Fml

• Like 3

Looking back on nearly every archery deer season I regret not taking shots on at least one deer. The issue I have is if I kill one then I am done hunting for the year. I know, dumb reason for passing on a decent buck. The exception is a late December buck but even then I pass on most bucks. I don't have the desire to kill a deer just to kill one.

I have passed on some small bulls in hopes of finding a bigger bull. I usually eat tag soup and always have regrets. Elk tags don't come along that often.

• Like 2

I've only ever had one Kaibab tag and on opening morning a very tall 4x4 was running across a bowl  at about 60 yards. I passed wanting one that was wider or a non-typical and as it turned out he was the only shooter I saw. Don't really regret it though but would have liked to see how wide he actually was.

• Like 1

Waited 10 yrs to draw a archery tag in Utah. Got the tag and passed on two really good bucks the first four days of 11 day hunt.  Never had another opportunity at either on of them   Kick myself everyday for that decision.  But at least I had a chance to shoot a whopper just choked bad.  Think I did everything wrong, jerk the trigger, drop arm, didn’t aim small, heck think I even closed my eyes. Yeah he was big.  

• Like 1

I had been on a pretty good killing streak so I was trying for a giant. Ten minutes into hunting on January 1 I got well within twenty yards of this guy with enough time to judge him, put my bow down, get my camera out of my pack and take pictures. My streak ended that yearFB_IMG_1564330398862.thumb.jpg.0c92c088de3e7204f90b1b1027e2e553.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow! 2

I try to not pass anything during the hunt, that I would shoot in the last minutes of the last day of the hunt.  So far no regrets.

• Like 1

Two ( I think) different bucks,  different years, same place. 

This was literally the second deer of the trip, about 15 minutes into the hunt. Heavy 2 point with some cool stuff going on.  Really regret  not taking the shot.

20171029_072458_zps8dhypotp.jpg

• Like 1

I am not good enough to pass on shots yet. 😖

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoss50 said:

I am not good enough to pass on shots yet. 😖

I passed on a white antlered 5x5 bull in 23S on a November archery hunt in about 96 for that exact reason. I heard him running to me in the bottom of a creek bed. He knew I was there and stopped then walked up a hill for 20 yards at 90 degrees to my left between some Ponderosa's and went over and out to the juniper flats never stopping.

Man, I forgot about this thread and didn't check it until just now. Thanks for the stories. I guess a better way to phrase the question would have been do you regret letting an animal go by rather than regret taking a shot when it could be a questionable one.

I missed on the draw (only apply for December rifle) and on leftovers but I pulled a New Mexico mule deer tag in November that I really hope I can still make due to work circumstances. I've pretty much decided that any decent shot at a legal buck I'll take but that could change when I get out there. Just glad it's August tomorrow and hunting starts in August!

Good luck to everyone this year!

On 7/28/2019 at 12:10 PM, firstcoueswas80 said:

Two ( I think) different bucks,  different years, same place. 

This was literally the second deer of the trip, about 15 minutes into the hunt. Heavy 2 point with some cool stuff going on.  Really regret  not taking the shot.

20171029_072458_zps8dhypotp.jpg

Had a buck very similar to this last year. Opening morning and didn't really want to end my hunt. High winds KILLED the rest of the hunt. Saw a few more dinks but never pulled the trigger.