Ohthatguy

Vicksburg aquifer and the Saudi alfalfa farms

With another thread raising questions about foreign interests and their negative effects, it made me think of the issue with the water in Vicksburg and where that whole issue stands. I read up on it a few years ago and just looked again and can't find anything that looks like a solution.

Does anyone know where some up to date, valid information can be found? 

• Like 1

There's not alot of info out there. I have friends that live and work in that area. The water table is dropping to where in some spots it is becoming a financial burden to pump residential water. There was talk some time back of pumping CAP water into the aquifers. I have no idea what became of that.

Hyder is another area that is going to go dry. Both Hyder and the Bouse areas were nearly pumped dry years ago. It's going to happen again.   Our state government could do a better job of regulating water use. In the AMA's it is restricted but in much of the state it is not.

39 minutes ago, cw4192 said:

It’s the desert,deserts are dry baron land

Not when you can legally pump out billions and billions of gallons of water. Even when doing so drops the water levels below the levels that is required to serve the surrounding areas and towns. Which is what was/is supposedly happening. Hence the issue.

• Like 1

In the last few years the water quality where I live has become terrible. The heavy metal counts have become unsafe and the nitrate levels have risen as much as 5 times the EPA safe limits. With rapid growth and the aquifer being unable to recharge sufficiently the pool has drawn down allowing the contaminants to become more concentrated. Most people around here pump domestic water from the 200 foot range. We are down into the next strata around 400 feet and our water is still undrinkable.

2 hours ago, creed said:

In the last few years the water quality where I live has become terrible. The heavy metal counts have become unsafe and the nitrate levels have risen as much as 5 times the EPA safe limits. With rapid growth and the aquifer being unable to recharge sufficiently the pool has drawn down allowing the contaminants to become more concentrated. Most people around here pump domestic water from the 200 foot range. We are down into the next strata around 400 feet and our water is still undrinkable.

400! Wow!  We are at 1200ft... I wish we had water at 400...

• Like 1

Seemed like the sulfur springs valley was suffering a simple fate, as I’d heard lately.  

Frustrating.

Was out there tonight on way back from Cali. Can't beleive how green it is. And how big the green area is. I know the truck stop south of freeway seems like it is influenced by middle eastern people. They taking all the water too?...........BOB!

Overpopulation!  Fountains Hills, Fake Lakes,  irrigation lawns, and the biggest one, OVERPOPULATION!  Get ready to drink your pee.  LOL