Sign in to follow this  
metau

Verde Rim Access

I am mentoring a kid who drew his first elk tag, and was curious how bad the roads are to get back to the Verde Rim in unit 21? Specifically looking at FR68G to the Tule Mesa area and the drop down into Houston Creek, FR68 up Sycamore Creek,  9709M to Chalk Tank, 68E to Arnold Mesa Tank and FS574 back into Table Mountain and McCraken down below? Can a 2wd truck make it down these roads or is a 4WD/ATV required? I don't mind AZ pinstriping, but I will have limited time to scout for his hunt and don't want to waste a weekend breaking down or being stuck. 

I haven't been there in years but when I was , I was happy I had the 4wd just in the few spots i did need it  and it was a rough road . Plan on that FR68G to take a lot longer than you think.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:58 PM, metau said:

I am mentoring a kid who drew his first elk tag, and was curious how bad the roads are to get back to the Verde Rim in unit 21? Specifically looking at FR68G to the Tule Mesa area and the drop down into Houston Creek, FR68 up Sycamore Creek,  9709M to Chalk Tank, 68E to Arnold Mesa Tank and FS574 back into Table Mountain and McCraken down below? Can a 2wd truck make it down these roads or is a 4WD/ATV required? I don't mind AZ pinstriping, but I will have limited time to scout for his hunt and don't want to waste a weekend breaking down or being stuck. 

21 will beat you up in a truck. If you must use a truck a 4wd is a must. I would try and get a Utv or quads. Did he draw an archery tag or rifle? Good luck!

• Like 1

The roads you mention are rough.   If it rains/snows as mentioned above, lots of clay = slippery.  Good on you for mentoring a new hunter.

Super sucky roads and that rim road is among the worst around and gets flat ugly with any weather. It'll break the spirit of even a new truck with a novice driver behind the wheel. I haven't been on a couple of the roads you mentioned, but that whole part of the unit is nothing but mean on a rig and not a place to venture without a reliable 4x4. As already mentioned, best off with an ATV/UTV to spare your vehicle.

Helluva 1st time draw for the kid!!! A lot of the local herd has moved out of the area but there are still some fantastic bulls hanging around back in there. Which tag did he draw?

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback. There's still plenty of time for me to try to find a decent used SxS (I've been looking for an ATV anyways) or I can rent. As for his tag, it is the mid Oct rifle cow hunt. He is excited to go and looking forward to trying his luck at elk hunting.