Heat

1.5 Day Offshore Trip

Just got back from a 1.5 Day trip with Tomahawk Sportfishing out of Fisherman's Landing.  Excellent crew, comfortable and roomy fishing platform.  Left the dock on Wednesday night, fished all day Thursday and returned on Friday early morning.  The trip was sponsored by Accurate Fishing, which was a HUGE bonus!  Lots of nice bling on the boat to fish with!  They hooked it up!  Thanks a lot to David one of the owners, and Justin and the rest of the Accurate crew on board.  Incredible generosity to let everyone fish with their stuff, no questions asked.  They brought probably 50 rigs on board for everyone to use.  They also had T shirts for everyone on board.

Now on to the fishing...The decision was made to go way south and fish Yellowtail on kelp patties and if everything went well we would hit the tuna grounds for Bluefin, time permitting.  We ended up way offshore of Punta Colonet, maybe even a little further south.  It was a LONG run!  The weather was windy and the swell was probably 5-6 feet on average with a few huge rollers probably 8 feet or so.  Got a little hairy out there at times and made locating kelp patties really hard.  The crew was on it though and worked their butts off trying to find the right zone.  We hit the first kelp around 9 AM.  I got hooked up but didn't get a good hook set and my fish came off.  We ran for probably another hour or so and the boat got a few more, probably about 5 or 6 fish for each of the first two stops.  It took quite a while before we found the next spot but from there things went pretty wide open.  They found kelp after kelp and before long most people had their limit.  I probably got bit 7 or 8 times and put 5 on the boat.   The best one I got was probably around 10 pounds or so and the rest were of a little smaller grade but still really fun!  Pretty good fishing for the yellows unfortunately we ended up way too far south to be able to hit the tuna grounds.  It was around 6 PM when we started heading North again for port.  Got back to the landing around 7:30 AM or so. 

All in all I had a great time.  Didn't get one of the bigger bluefin that have been around but nobody on the boat did either.  One dorado and 117 yellowtail for 27 anglers.  The rough conditions beat us up pretty good and there were a lot of guys that were pretty green by the end of the day.  Had about half a dozen kooks on board that made things kinda tough.  Wouldn't follow their lines, would cast right across you, even with a fish on.  Regular rookie stuff for most trips but a few of those dudes just couldn't get with the groove.  The rest of the guys were really cool to fish with and met a few pretty hardcore hunters too.   Even saw my first wild sea turtle which was way cool!

Can't say much more, but if you are ever looking for a boat to fish on out of San Diego, consider the Tomahawk. They have a great operation!

https://www.sandiegofishreports.com/fish_reports/151302/tomahawk-1.5-day-trip-wrap-up-(late).php

Resized_20190801_164400.jpeg

20190801_191459.jpg

20190801_180842.jpg

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

If you don’t mind me asking, about how much does a trip like that cost? Super curious to try it someday. Thanks.

Close to $400

A bit north of that actually with their dumb processing fee.  Plus galley fees, fish cleaning if you get some and want them to do it, plus tip.  Not cheap.  Pretty sure its cheaper than buying a boat and spending all that money on fuel though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heat said:

A bit north of that actually with their dumb processing fee.  Plus galley fees, fish cleaning if you get some and want them to do it, plus tip.  Not cheap.  Pretty sure its cheaper than buying a boat and spending all that money on fuel though.

Did that include the Mexican Permit?

Considering a 1.5 used to cost about $350 like 10-15 years ago, the price is not awful but still not cheap.  I remember when they use to tack on a fuel surcharge on each trip.  Now that was some bullshit.

14 hours ago, Heat said:

Almost forgot, $10 a day to park or you can take your chances on the street.  I scored a spot right next to the Fisherman's Landing building with no car on one side.  Nobody touched my truck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, My Rights As An American said:

If you don’t mind me asking, about how much does a trip like that cost? Super curious to try it someday. Thanks.

1.5 Day trip is about as short as I would do.  They also offer overnight trips but those are a bit more risky unless the fishing is pretty good.  1.5 gives you an entire day on the water to fish and plenty of time to get to and from "the zone".  2 Day is even better, most boats price those trips to include food.  It also gives you another morning to noon session which has saved my trip before but also can offer the chance to fish a couple of different spots.  I have a disease that is similar to elk fever when it comes to this stuff, so don't hesitate to hit me up if you have questions about boats or the gear or whatever.  My best advice is if you have time and you want to get after it, GO FOR IT!  You can't catch them sitting on your couch.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 8/4/2019 at 8:09 AM, Heat said:

1.5 Day trip is about as short as I would do.  They also offer overnight trips but those are a bit more risky unless the fishing is pretty good.  1.5 gives you an entire day on the water to fish and plenty of time to get to and from "the zone".  2 Day is even better, most boats price those trips to include food.  It also gives you another morning to noon session which has saved my trip before but also can offer the chance to fish a couple of different spots.  I have a disease that is similar to elk fever when it comes to this stuff, so don't hesitate to hit me up if you have questions about boats or the gear or whatever.  My best advice is if you have time and you want to get after it, GO FOR IT!  You can't catch them sitting on your couch.

burn some gas and wind some line boys 'n girls......

wide open apology to Heat.  i remember what you did for all of us during the tag grab and am sorry for being a bummer.  i will always believe in the line above-u gotta chase 'em to git 'em.

lee 

11 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

burn some gas and wind some line boys 'n girls......

wide open apology to Heat.  i remember what you did for all of us during the tag grab and am sorry for being a bummer.  i will always believe in the line above-u gotta chase 'em to git 'em.

lee 

Nobody owes anyone an apology.  I appreciate the comments though.

A buddy has chartered a boat and filled it with 21 of his most available friends (and friends of friends) for the last 3 years. Total cost (including general tip for the crew) is just under $300 each for the 1.5 dayer. We have to buy our own food, and tip the guys for gutting the fish. First two years have been awesome, the 3rd year leaves port in a couple of weeks from San Diego.. I'm excited. It's a great trip and the poke bowls are amazing afterwards :)

Your fish looks like a monster! Congrats and happy eating!

• Like 2