Heat

1.5 Day Offshore Trip

Cool guy named Romy I met aboard the Tomahawk has a Youtube channel and made a video from our trip.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

On 8/3/2019 at 3:46 PM, My Rights As An American said:

If you don’t mind me asking, about how much does a trip like that cost? Super curious to try it someday. Thanks.

Don't get into deep see fishing.   It will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars.   You will end up buying a ton of expensive gear and before you know it you will want to go on 5+ day trips.    That will result in even more money spent on fish cleaning and probably a bigger freezer!!!!!   Don't do it!!!!!!!!  It's addicting like cocaine and very hard to kick once you start.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, recurveman said:

Don't get into deep see fishing.   It will cost you thousands and thousands of dollars.   You will end up buying a ton of expensive gear and before you know it you will want to go on 5+ day trips.    That will result in even more money spent on fish cleaning and probably a bigger freezer!!!!!   Don't do it!!!!!!!!  It's addicting like cocaine and very hard to kick once you start.   

the only thing worse is to buy an offshore boat!

On 8/7/2019 at 12:21 PM, recurveman said:

Truest statement ever made. 

Man seeing the videos getts my blood pumping. Going out on a 6pak boat josie lynn out of san diego this saturday, hope we have some luck. Ive only ever fished the big boats with lots of idiots so only having 5 other people to contend with should be great! Not to mention we are all friends

• Like 2

question for You guys that fish down there alot.

We have a son with down syndrom he is a fishing fool(some of you guys know him) been wanting to take him out that way for some fishing for some time now.  he is about the height of a 8-10 year old. I dont know if he could do a day and a half trip do they have anything like full day trips where you can catch fish. they dont have to be big just catching something would be cool for him. He loves boats and the ocean but never been out on the ocean fishing.

We are going to pick up my daughters boyfriend from bootcamp on the 4th of oct (friday). so was thinking like wednesday or maybe tuesday.  any suggestions would be great. preferable a boat thats not hugely crowded, not to worried about the cost.

heat that day and a half tripped looked like a blast, I just watched the vid  thanks.

• Like 1

Delw, a half day trip is probably right down your alley for the first time on the ocean for anybody.  Its about 5 or 6 hours.  They also do fullday which is about 12 hours on the water and overnight which is about 22 hours.  One of the fullday boats caught some yellowfin tuna today so you never know what you might get into on one of those.  Fullday boats generally fish the Coronado islands  in Mex and you need a passport but they mix it up some also with some offshore trips when the fishing is good which generally doesn't require a passport.  They used to offer 3/4 day but I dont see that much anymore.  For half day Dolphin at Fishermans, Point Loma at Point Loma for bit smaller boat or New Seaforth if you are over at Mission Bay.  Any of those half day boats cater to kids and beginners so your son will have a lot of fun even if its his first time!  Watch out though, dude might get addicted!

15 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

can't go wrong w seaforth half-day trips.  just avoid the drunken insanity of the night shark trips.

lee

Lee they have Shark trips? Oh crap I gotta get him on one of those thats all he talks about it sharks. if he could just catch even a small one and only one he would be set for life.

my biggest was 3 meters 3 centimeters long is was a Mackrel shark we caught in Japan. he has the picture of it. Shark fishing was big in Japan we caught hundreds of them baby hammerheads every summer. we used a partial live goat. 1975

1 hour ago, C.Shoemaker said:

Lots of boats to choose from.  Just depends on what you think he can handle.  Possible sea sickness, smells, small rocking bathroom, etc.

He grew up on a Bass boat, 5 days a week for a ton of years the rocking wont bother him or the smells.

53 minutes ago, Heat said:

Delw, a half day trip is probably right down your alley for the first time on the ocean for anybody.  Its about 5 or 6 hours.  They also do fullday which is about 12 hours on the water and overnight which is about 22 hours.  One of the fullday boats caught some yellowfin tuna today so you never know what you might get into on one of those.  Fullday boats generally fish the Coronado islands  in Mex and you need a passport but they mix it up some also with some offshore trips when the fishing is good which generally doesn't require a passport.  They used to offer 3/4 day but I dont see that much anymore.  For half day Dolphin at Fishermans, Point Loma at Point Loma for bit smaller boat or New Seaforth if you are over at Mission Bay.  Any of those half day boats cater to kids and beginners so your son will have a lot of fun even if its his first time!  Watch out though, dude might get addicted!

heat if you dont mind when I get closer to that time I will Pm you as I have no clue what to do to book one.

thanks guys.

picture.jpg

17 hours ago, Delw said:

question for You guys that fish down there alot.

We have a son with down syndrom he is a fishing fool(some of you guys know him) been wanting to take him out that way for some fishing for some time now.  he is about the height of a 8-10 year old. I dont know if he could do a day and a half trip do they have anything like full day trips where you can catch fish. they dont have to be big just catching something would be cool for him. He loves boats and the ocean but never been out on the ocean fishing.

We are going to pick up my daughters boyfriend from bootcamp on the 4th of oct (friday). so was thinking like wednesday or maybe tuesday.  any suggestions would be great. preferable a boat thats not hugely crowded, not to worried about the cost.

heat that day and a half tripped looked like a blast, I just watched the vid  thanks.

If you are looking for just getting out on the water for a chunk of a day then then a 3/4 or 1/2 trip might be a good option.   Sometimes those get super crazy crowded depending on the bite.   Normally you won't catch bigger fish.    Expect to catch some type of bottom fish with the occasional barracuda or yellowtail.   I would think that you would expect to catch some fish on a trip like this. 

The 1.5 day trips would be a much higher level of adventure.   You will basically sleep all night and fish from dawn till dusk.   Fishing can be awesome to a boat ride depending on the time of year and what is going on.   There will be fewer people but expect to be shoulder to shoulder with another guy on most trips.   You will target bigger fish (10-40#).   Normally smaller yellowtails, yellowfin, dorado, ect.   I would hope that you guys catch a fish but some do and some don't.   The only key to getting a fish on this trip is being able to get a LIVE bait AWAY from the boat.    Almost all issues happen within 30 feet of the boat.   If you have a bait out away from the boat it isn't that hard to catch fish.   If you have a 20# bass rod(which I know you have a few) that would be the perfect rod for this trip.   Cast a sardine out from the boat and you will get bit.   To many guys are worried about bigger reals and short rods.    Who cares.   A 20# bass rod will get it done with 99% of the fish on a trip like this.     

On either trip make sure to get the patch.   Being on a bass boat is nothing like an ocean boat.   I could live on a bass boat and be happy.   I will get sick on an ocean boat without the patch.   It's very cheap insurance.   Plus I hate seeing breakfast the second time.