Heat

1.5 Day Offshore Trip

Its going to be like a circus on those closer banks this weekend.  There is still a lot of cold water out there but things are looking a lot better than a few weeks ago.  It can shut off in an instant but hopefully they have consumed most of that microbait and are now ready for the usual offerings.  Go get them boys!  

I'll be ready again after archery pronghorn season if anybody wants to go, early Sept through early October I am ready.  1.5 or 2 day.  Lots of season still left.  A lot of this stuff still bites well through October if things progress as usual.

13 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Is that a Tiger Shark?

No its a mackerel Shark, we were after a tiger shark from what the islander told us they saw. so we (the guy behind my sister) and I went and set bouyes for it.

That building behind them is the 1st Shark and Turtle research lab. I was told by them in the world but I dont know for sure.

the island is chi chi jima boinin island aka ogasawari islands Japan. the US Owned it then turned it back over to Japan. I was born there in 1962( only 2 american kids were born on that island imagine that I was once of them lol. Dad was staitioned there for 2 or 3 years. he sent me and my sister back in 1976 for a month so I could see the place I was born before he retired after 27 years cause chances are I would never see it again.

George Bush was shot down on that island in WWII, we stored nukes on that Island that the Japanese and may many others never knew about until the story broke about 15-18 years ago. Dad called me up and said turn on the news quick and he hung up. funny thing dad was only one of maybe a dozen US military personal on that island at that time. Dad knew all the tunnels but never said if he knew that nukes were there. The original Islanders grand kids were family friends of my Parents and still keep in touch with my mom too this day. wanna talk about some history and stories right there its freaking wild, ive listened to them. I stayed with them for a month when I was back there. Willie Savory cool older guy. he would take me out on his outrigger canoe fishing with handlines. if you ever get a chance to fish handlines in crystal clear water down to 100-400 feet its a hoot. we usually fished off the wreckage of US and Japanese Warships.

That island is also the place were the giant squids are.(some trench is really close) its also the largest breading ground for hammer heads and tiger sharks and sea turtles, that mackerel shark about was the 1st one caught in that area. one thing they taugh be was the smaller the dorsal fine on a shark the more aggressive it is.

we and the japanese on that island swam with the baby hammer head sharks literally hundred of them from 1 foot-3 foot long. it was pretty wild but if you wanted to go into the ocean for a swim you had to swim with them.the water was 1-5 feet deep out about 1/4 mile white sandy beached. hence the reason we went after that one shark because it got close to the beach.

• Like 1

time to go fishing.  took long enough.

just a note on how to get a really good trip.  for the experienced sticks like HEAT and Recurve, and others,  and if you can roll within 24 hours-like having a very open schedule to get away-get your name and cell to the landings.  let them know you can fill out a charter.  usually a little more expensive but great groups and fewer anglers.  chartermasters are always getting stiffed and the first place they call is the landing.  might be with the pomona valley lady anglers or the 29 palms mp's or discount tire managers.  never dissapoints. luck.

lee

wind some line and burn some gas boys 'n girls

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Delw said:

No its a mackerel Shark

Mackerel sharks are a family of sharks. Not specific species. And the sharks in that family have pointed noses. The markings on the back, the blunt nose, the pectoral fins, that’s a tiger 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Mackerel sharks are a family of sharks. Not specific species. And the sharks in that family have pointed noses. The markings on the back, the blunt nose, the pectoral fins, that’s a tiger 

shortfin mako shark.  mackerel shark.

• Like 1

Going on my first trip ever out of Point Loma this weekend. We are doing a 1.5 day trip. Any pointers on what to bring would be appreciated. I already have my Dramamine 👍

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, azcouesandelk said:

Going on my first trip ever out of Point Loma this weekend. We are doing a 1.5 day trip. Any pointers on what to bring would be appreciated. I already have my Dramamine 👍

25lb and 40lb rigs minimum.  if you have heavier take it but don't rent it.  leave the lighter stuff at home.  don't go out with old line.  3/0 hooks live bait or circle.  could be chilly.  no ice chests allowed on the boats.  scopolamine patches. good luck!

lee

ps master the palomar knot if you have not already

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, azcouesandelk said:

What boat? What reels do you have that can cast. Call the captain and find out what the bite has been.

10 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

What boat? What reels do you have that can cast. Call the captain and find out what the bite has been.

We are going on the T-Bird

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, azcouesandelk said:

Smaller bluefin 20-50# and football yellowfin 5-15# have been caught a lot the last few days.  If I was going out I would have a 20#, 30# and 40# outfit if possible.  Some trips are specifically targeting the bigger bluefin, 50 - 300+.  If that is the case you will need a rig that you can fish at least 50# on, 60# is even better.  Flouro leader for the bluefin, not necessary on these schooly yellowfin.  Straight mono is good for them.  Hooks #2-2/0 size are appropriate for the sardines they are using.  I personally prefer the ringed circle hooks, Owner Mutu for the big ones.  You probably won't need to worry about lures or trolling rigs.  Being able to get your bait a head start away from the boat is a good way to help get bit.  It can be tough with a light weight sardine on 40# line but you don't need to cast it that far, just enough that it can swim away from the boat without getting tangled.

Take your time at the bait tank.  Pick the liveliest, hardest bait to catch in the handwell.  Pick one without a red nose and missing scales.  Bright green color.  Seriously, this makes a huge difference.  Take your time.  Re-tie a new hook after every fish.  I missed a couple because I was in a hurry and didn't do this on my last trip.  Listen to the crew.  Work together with the other anglers.  Keep the wind in your face and follow your line.  If your sardine doesn't swim away from the boat immediately reel it back in and start over with a fresh bait.  Watch where the deckhands are throwing the chummed bait and cast your sardine in that area.  Keep stepping whichever way the current is going.  Once you make it to the end of the line so to speak, reel your bait back in and start over with a fresh bait.  If you can't feel your bait, reel it in and start over with a fresh bait.  Tuna Shuffle, keep stepping.  Don't get stuck in the corner.  Fish hard, don't give up.  If you aren't getting bites, don't hesitate to ask the crew for help, that is what they are there for!  Good Luck!  Most of all have a blast!

Feel free to PM me if you have questions you don't want to ask here.  Also please share your report when your get back.

3 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

3 hours ago, biglakejake said:

shortfin mako shark.  mackerel shark.

dang learn something everyday, I didnt know that, they just said it was a mackrelal shark.

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

We caught one in May 

C3CF0BE3-C90F-4945-BAD6-AEB5475FDA09.jpeg

You remember Those 2 that Booya caught years ago on AZBaassZone, one was like 900lbs and the other was around 700lbs