Heat

1.5 Day Offshore Trip

The fishing yesterday off San Diego was about as good as it gets!  Limits of yellowfin and bluefin for a few boats.  Limits of one kind of tuna or another for most boats.  Yellowtail and dorado sprinkled here and there on kelp.  All techniques are working.  This is what its all about.  Can't wait to get back on the water.  Got this little pronghorn hunt to do next weekend on out until Labor Day though so I am going to have to wait until September to get my fix again if I can swing it.

I like to check the action on 976 Tuna and San Diego Fish Reports under Boat Fish Counts as well as Bloodydecks.com to see whats going on.  The captains have been busy on the sat phones calling in their updates and wrap ups the last couple of days!  I don't blame them, a great fish report is the best advertising you can get.  A few boats seem to have the social media thing down too.  Might not be a bad idea to book a trip now if you are planning to go.  They might start completely booking up the better boats now that the bite has taken off. 

17 hours ago, azcouesandelk said:

Going on my first trip ever out of Point Loma this weekend. We are doing a 1.5 day trip. Any pointers on what to bring would be appreciated. I already have my Dramamine 👍

From a very experienced motion sickness expert, if you are even slightly prone to sea sickness, do NOT go light on the Dramamine!!!  🤢    Use original formula (or the generic equivalent)!  The tablets are 50mg each, and you should take two at a time!!  MD's advise 50-100mg every 4 to 6 hours.   Go on the high side!!   (The only significant warning is if you have respiratory issues, so be aware of that...)

I have suffered the curse of motion sickness my entire life.  Basically, double the recommended dose on the box is my go-to, and I find it effective.  Oh, and drink lots of coffee or you'll be sleeping the trip away! 😂

Have fun, Christian!!!

1 hour ago, Heat said:

The fishing yesterday off San Diego was about as good as it gets!  Limits of yellowfin and bluefin for a few boats.  Limits of one kind of tuna or another for most boats.  Yellowtail and dorado sprinkled here and there on kelp.  All techniques are working.  This is what its all about.  Can't wait to get back on the water.  Got this little pronghorn hunt to do next weekend on out until Labor Day though so I am going to have to wait until September to get my fix again if I can swing it.

I like to check the action on 976 Tuna and San Diego Fish Reports under Boat Fish Counts as well as Bloodydecks.com to see whats going on.  The captains have been busy on the sat phones calling in their updates and wrap ups the last couple of days!  I don't blame them, a great fish report is the best advertising you can get.  A few boats seem to have the social media thing down too.  Might not be a bad idea to book a trip now if you are planning to go.  They might start completely booking up the better boats now that the bite has taken off. 

Good to hear.  Going on a 2.5 day on the 23rd.  Hope the bite holds.

10 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Good to hear.  Going on a 2.5 day on the 23rd.  Hope the bite holds.

Cool!  What boat?

43 minutes ago, stanley said:

From a very experienced motion sickness expert, if you are even slightly prone to sea sickness, do NOT go light on the Dramamine!!!  🤢    Use original formula (or the generic equivalent)!  The tablets are 50mg each, and you should take two at a time!!  MD's advise 50-100mg every 4 to 6 hours.   Go on the high side!!   (The only significant warning is if you have respiratory issues, so be aware of that...)

I have suffered the curse of motion sickness my entire life.  Basically, double the recommended dose on the box is my go-to, and I find it effective.  Oh, and drink lots of coffee or you'll be sleeping the trip away! 😂

Have fun, Christian!!!

Some of the most miserable people I have ever seen were folks stuck on a fishing vessel that were sea sick.  Take well before you plan on boarding the vessel.  There are some prescription only meds available too that you might look into.  Scopalamine patch is one.  If you do get sea sick stay on the deck with the fresh air in your face.  Get to the stern and center of the vessel where it moves the least.  Drink plenty of water.  Avoid coffee and alcohol.  Avoid the galley and bunkroom.  If you hurl in the bunkroom everybody on board, including the skipper and deckhands will hate you.  Nobody is going to give a shoot if you puke over the rail all day.

Thank the Lord I am blessed with some great sea legs!  Don't have to deal with this even the slighest bit.

13 minutes ago, Heat said:

Cool!  What boat?

Excalibur, 1st time on that particular boat.  It's a private charter, I know most of the guys who go, we've done it for many years.  The only time we don't charter is in a down construction market.  I am in the process of dusting off my gear.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Excalibur, 1st time on that particular boat.  It's a private charter, I know most of the guys who go, we've done it for many years.  The only time we don't charter is in a down construction market.  I am in the process of dusting off my gear.

Right on!   I can't wait to hear about your trip when you return.  Before I booked the Tomahawk for my last trip I was looking really closely at a 2 Day on the Excalibur, which was cancelled because they didn't book enough anglers.  The former skipper of the Relentless, Joel Ralston is running the boat from what I understand.  He's a legend.  Before my trip departed I went down to H&M to look at the boat.  It looks like a killer fishing platform.  Really wide compared to most 85 ft boats.  Double wide bunks for everybody.  Pretty light loads for the size of the boat.  Haven't heard any bad reviews.  You should have a great trip if the crew is up to par and the fish cooperate.

1 hour ago, Swivelhead said:

I'm boarding the Excalibur on the 30th for a 2.5 day with our own private charter also.  Would like to hear how your trip goes and see what last minute advice you might have as far as the bite and tackle.  Hope you have a killer trip!! Looking forward to your report.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stanley said:

Have fun, Christian!!!

I hold the IGFA world record for the amount of times throwing up on a fishing boat in a 24 hour period.   I can't even tell you how many times I've yacked with a rod in my hand.   It's a bunch and I haven't been sick on a boat in a very long time.   One word "The Patch".    It is the best and really, really helps.   Dramamine doesn't even put a dent in it for me and makes me tired too.   Patch is the bomb.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BowHuntAZ said:

I'm boarding the Excalibur on the 30th for a 2.5 day with our own private charter also.  Would like to hear how your trip goes and see what last minute advice you might have as far as the bite and tackle.  Hope you have a killer trip!! Looking forward to your report.

This group will target whatever is biting.  There are some serious fisherman on the trip but most don't have the gear for larger specimens.  We won't be targeting big fish.  Personally, I think it wise to go all in on the big BFT.  Having an opportunity at the giants without going long range is a worthwhile endeavor.  The downside to such a trip is the skunk factor.  These guys just want to catch fish (which is cool too).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, recurveman said:

I hold the IGFA world record for the amount of times throwing up on a fishing boat in a 24 hour period.   I can't even tell you how many times I've yacked with a rod in my hand.   It's a bunch and I haven't been sick on a boat in a very long time.   One word "The Patch".    It is the best and really, really helps.   Dramamine doesn't even put a dent in it for me and makes me tired too.   Patch is the bomb.    

I agree fully.  Fortunately, I rarely suffer from motion sickness.  I have taken dramamine and it truly makes me feel bad.  The patch is effetive and a non issue.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

I agree fully.  Fortunately, I rarely suffer from motion sickness.  I have taken dramamine and it truly makes me feel bad.  The patch is effetive and a non issue.

Right on, guys!!!   I'll definitely check-out the patch in the future!

Christian, take note! ;)

55 minutes ago, stanley said:

Right on, guys!!!   I'll definitely check-out the patch in the future!

Christian, take note! ;)

Picked up the scopolamine patches today 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Swivelhead said:

This group will target whatever is biting.  There are some serious fisherman on the trip but most don't have the gear for larger specimens.  We won't be targeting big fish.  Personally, I think it wise to go all in on the big BFT.  Having an opportunity at the giants without going long range is a worthwhile endeavor.  The downside to such a trip is the skunk factor.  These guys just want to catch fish (which is cool too).

Pretty much the same for our trip. A handful of us take it serious and would love to target the bigger fish but it’s a company outing for our foremen and supervisors so we’re going to be opportunistic and go for any good bite. It sounds like it’s shaping up to be epic either way! 

• Like 3