NoBull350

Mullins bull VS A3 bull

Anytime you use a WA lens and have something closer to the camera, it will appear much larger than a similar item farther away. I'll try not to get too technical, but it's commonly known as perspective shift or perspective distortion. The three things that can affect it are the focal length of the lens, the distance from the subject or the angle you shoot it. 

As an object gets closer to a lens, the image will appear distorted because of how the angles of light enter the lens. The closer you get to something, the difference of the angle increases between stuff at the center of the frame and the edges.

This sort of perspective shift is often seen in pix where the hunter sits three feet behind his trophy or where an angler holds his fish at arms in length in front. Again, in tech talk, it's called a forced perspective, i.e. wanting to get that exact effect. It's an age-old photographic technique that has seen wide-spread use. 😉

A "normal" lens is generally 50-55mm, and it's called that because of how everything appears as close as you can get to what the human eye would see. Anything less, and you're getting into more of a wider angle. Focal lengths that are longer tend to compress objects more. For example, if you shoot a bunch of telephone poles with a 300mm lens in an almost direct line, they will appear to be only a few feet apart in the final image. 

Now, in this thread, the only images that appear more toward normal are the ones where one rack is sitting inside the other. Both are on the same plane from the lens, so less chance for perspective distortion. Same for Houston's front-on bear rugs shot. His other are skewed because of the angle he took them from with a somewhat WA lens. 

• Like 1

The Mullins clan are top shelf. Every single one of them. Hence why Jim was my first and only call when i drew my unit 9 archery bull tag.

• Like 6

Mullins Bull looks like a 418 Bull, A3's Bull I knew wasn't anywhere near 440" when I saw it posted, I'm thinking maybe 390's...Either way two great bulls!

• Like 1

So if they had not killed that A3 bull when they did and some lucky dude with a archery tag would have taken it would it still matter so much. Like its been said before "don't get hung up on the score get hung up on the hunt". Someone will shoot a bigger one someday. 

6 minutes ago, AZHunter1 said:

So if they had not killed that A3 bull when they did and some lucky dude with a archery tag would have taken it would it still matter so much. Like its been said before "don't get hung up on the score get hung up on the hunt". Someone will shoot a bigger one someday. 

They are both amazing bulls and any hunter on the planet would be  satisfied to just have the opportunity to hunt bulls like that ! I don’t think A3 got the memo on “don’t get hung up on the score get hung up on the hunt “ . Any body out there know where I can get my hands on an official A3 tape ??  I have a few bulls that it would help get to 400 mark and a few bucks that would crush 200 . Ha 

Dan and Davie's tape measure or Art and Saxton's if they were killed with bow are the only tape measures that matter.  I'm with Adam, Fake News!  A bunch of drama over antlers is ridiculous to me, ymmv.

• Like 6

Ah there both giants, who cares. Just saying. Its always mines bigger then yours in antlers and penises..

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 5:43 AM, lancetkenyon said:

We shall see in 90 days...

These bulls will never see a tape again... Those are the official outfitter scores which they will be associated with forever. If in 60 days they were to be officially scored, their score will undoubtedly go down, which is why they won't see a tape again. Ed F 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, BOWUNTR said:

These bulls will never see a tape again... Those are the official outfitter scores which they will be associated with forever. If in 60 days they were to be officially scored, their score will undoubtedly go down, which is why they won't see a tape again. Ed F 

How close do you think they are?

5 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

How close do you think they are?

I don't have a clue.... Haven't seen them in person. Ed F