Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Gov tag buck

I just like to imagine there is animal like that out there for me, even if it's a snowballs chance in heck!. That's a magnificent animal and I think we can all agree on that.  As far as if I had enough money to do that, I couldn't walk away happy with myself because I didn't hunt, I just bought a head.   

• Like 1

I bet after the tag and guide fee and all the other bs he’s in it for around 350k. A lot of it is a write off for the rich dudes though 

36 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

How much did this guy pay to buy this animals head, just curious?

Come on now. It’s more than buying a head.

i guess if you have never been around truly successful and wealthy business you will never understand.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Come on now. It’s more than buying a head.

If greyghost is right could you still say that?  I'm sorry but that dude didn't do any hunting whatsoever. The only part of me that can justify it is the amount of money that can go to conservation. Past that, that guy bought a head.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

If greyghost is right could you still say that?  I'm sorry but that dude didn't do any hunting whatsoever. The only part of me that can justify it is the amount of money that can go to conservation. Past that, that guy bought a head.  

Put it in perspective. You run your basically worthless company and get 2 weeks to hunt. You go out and kill a dink of a deer with your bow and spend months on here flexing like you accomplished something. 

Now take a guy that runs a giant company  that employs god knows how many employees. If you have ever been around a truly successful business man they have no clue how to turn it off. All day every day they think about their business and how to make it bigger and better. He gets a few opportunities a year to truly turn off the noise and do something he loves. He buys a tag or two that to most of us think is unreal but to him is a tax write off and a small chunk of change for his yearly income. 

How can you fault a man that has spent his life growing an empire and buys a few moments a year to truly enjoy what he loves? Again, if you have never been around businessmen with this kind of money you will never understand. I was lucky enough to spend a chunk of my life around guys like this and here is a lot to be learned.

• Like 11

I just wish one of these gov tags guys would kill one of these things in carharts and blue jeans.

• Like 3

I can’t speak for this particular hunt but I have been on or associated with a large number of both the raffle and auction hunts since their inception. A large number of the hunters are in the field a great deal especially the raffle tag hunters. I personally have seen a few of the auction tag hunters spend several weeks in the field enjoying the hunt just like any other guided hunt. Regardless of how you feel about the auction tags keep in mind every penny raised stays here in the state and has funded 1000’s of projects that otherwise would not have been done. And contrary to what has been posted in the past it absolutely stays in the field. It does not pay salaries or buy new trucks or pay for fishing related projects 

• Like 6

I REALLY hate to say it, but if i had infinite money, i’d probably do the same thing. To most auction hunters, money means nothing. I hate to admit, but i have been involved in auction tags. The guides find an animal and surround it. They call the auction hunter and tell them they have the animal on lock down. The auction hunter boards a private jet, flys to the area, drives in, walks a short distance and shoots the animal. The animal is sent to a taxidermist, mounted and shipped to the tag holder. The distance the animal lives from a road plays a big part in the process. A lot of money is raised but it is 100% blood money. 99% of the time it is not a “hunt”. 

• Like 2

And who cares if it is a hunt or not. To that guy he thinks he hunted his butt off and will always remember it that way. 

I truly think if you don’t backpack in you are pretty much a pussy. Get off your quad and live in the country like a man for a minute. Does that make it true. Everybody has there own definition of a hunt. To a billionaire a day spent in the woods away from reality may just mean the same as me living on my back for a few days in the woods. Quit worrying about what the next guy is doing and only hunt coues deer because Muleys are ridiculous!!!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Put it in perspective. You run your basically worthless company and get 2 weeks to hunt. You go out and kill a dink of a deer with your bow and spend months on here flexing like you accomplished something. 

Now take a guy that runs a giant company  that employs god knows how many employees. If you have ever been around a truly successful business man they have no clue how to turn it off. All day every day they think about their business and how to make it bigger and better. He gets a few opportunities a year to truly turn off the noise and do something he loves. He buys a tag or two that to most of us think is unreal but to him is a tax write off and a small chunk of change for his yearly income. 

How can you fault a man that has spent his life growing an empire and buys a few moments a year to truly enjoy what he loves? Again, if you have never been around businessmen with this kind of money you will never understand. I was lucky enough to spend a chunk of my life around guys like this and here is a lot to be learned.

Nobody is faulting this man for building a successful business, empire, etc. It's calling a spade a spade, saying he didn't truly earn the trophy. He didn't scout and find it, or even luckily stumble upon it. He was led to it like a dog on a leash because enough people were paid to find it and babysit it. If he made a great shot, congrats, thats the final .01% of the sum. Of course these are assumptions maybe he did do all the work.

Obviously, to a degree, money can afford you better tools and opportunities (ability to take more time off, own private land, etc.) to hunt. But to see such a blatant example of public wildlife being purchased like a commodity is upsetting to most. Might as well put a stack of Benjamin's or a gold bar up on a plaque on the wall. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Not faulting him, just saying he bought the head.  6t6

• Like 2

So are you opposed to all guided hunts ?....I only ask because as someone who has been in the industry for over 20 yrs what you described takes place numerous times each year on both draw tags and over the counter tags. If an outfitter does his job well and with a little luck a huge number of hunts end opening morning/day.....With the hunter only getting into camp the night before......Is it the money aspect of it ? Or ?

3 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I REALLY hate to say it, but if i had infinite money, i’d probably do the same thing. To most auction hunters, money means nothing. I hate to admit, but i have been involved in auction tags. The guides find an animal and surround it. They call the auction hunter and tell them they have the animal on lock down. The auction hunter boards a private jet, flys to the area, drives in, walks a short distance and shoots the animal. The animal is sent to a taxidermist, mounted and shipped to the tag holder. The distance the animal lives from a road plays a big part in the process. A lot of money is raised but it is 100% blood money. 99% of the time it is not a “hunt”. 

I agree, if I had the money I'd spend it on the very best opportunities worldwide providing the hunts are fair chase.  Don't have an issue with auction/raffle tags as currently available in AZ.  It's up the the tag holder to determine how he wants to use his/her tag.  I was at the deer association banquet earlier this year, the muley tag went for 255K and the whitetail tag went for 37.5K IIRC.  That's a lot of money for projects.  I'm OK with it providing the number available auction/raffles tags does not increase for any of the species currently involved. 

Working where I work, we deal with the 1 percenters quite a bit. I find them to be a heck of lot cooler and easier to deal with, than the standard rich guys.  Whatever he paid for the tag would be like you or I spending twenty bucks on a tag. 

• Like 1