Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Gov tag buck

2 hours ago, bigbuckclub said:

Not that it matters all that much but because it was discussed so much in this thread... Mike Gallo is from the family that owns E&J Gallo Winery. He didn't build the business and from what I can tell didn't become CEO until some time this century. He's actually a grandson of the founders from what I can gather. 

Just wanted to point out that he didn't build the business, he inherited it. A little bit easier than being self-made... although that doesn't necessarily mean he's an idiot either.

Are you serious? So even though he has chosen to spend 7 figures+ in AZ helping wildlife, he gets bashed because he inherited the family business and isn't "self-made"? 

"Not that it matters much..."   I don't think it matters at all!  (His identity is no secret but I intentionally didn't mention his name.)

Congratulations to him, on his incredible deer and all the other giant animals he has taken in this and other states.

I sure hope I fall into a fortune so I can go do the same.

• Like 2
  • Great Buck! 1

5 hours ago, recurveman said:

Well I was lucky enough to draw the 13B late rifle tag this year.   Also hired this guide.   Makes me feel like I should turn my tag back in because I've hired a guide for the first time in my life to hunt an area that I have never been too and might never go back too.   Plus, I have a ton of other commitments this fall that won't allow me to spend the time up there scouting like I would normally do.   Guess I'll just have to live with "buying a head" and go about my business.   For sure won't be putting a pic out if I'm lucky enough to whack one.   I'm way past the social media craziness and pressures.   Didn't realize everyone hates people that get cool tags and hire guides.   

FYI - I don't hate on guys that hunt their way as long as it is legal. 

I don't know this guy personally but he has a skill set that justifies a rather large income.   Years ago I decided to figure out how these "rich" guys got so lucky.   Take some time to learn their skills and you will have all the money you want or need.    It would be life changing........was for me.      

I don’t think anyone said anything about him hiring a guide.

20 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

I bet this hunter is cool af.

My dad is richer than every person that has commented on this thread combined.

i want catfishkev to change his handle to couesmasterflex

that guy roasted you kev dog! Mad respect  tho

Couesmaster flex pest control

Has a nice ring to it.

• Like 2

What a buck! Congrats to the hunter

• Like 1

5 hours ago, recurveman said:

Well I was lucky enough to draw the 13B late rifle tag this year.   Also hired this guide.   Makes me feel like I should turn my tag back in because I've hired a guide for the first time in my life to hunt an area that I have never been too and might never go back too.   Plus, I have a ton of other commitments this fall that won't allow me to spend the time up there scouting like I would normally do.   Guess I'll just have to live with "buying a head" and go about my business.   For sure won't be putting a pic out if I'm lucky enough to whack one.   I'm way past the social media craziness and pressures.   Didn't realize everyone hates people that get cool tags and hire guides.   

FYI - I don't hate on guys that hunt their way as long as it is legal. 

I don't know this guy personally but he has a skill set that justifies a rather large income.   Years ago I decided to figure out how these "rich" guys got so lucky.   Take some time to learn their skills and you will have all the money you want or need.    It would be life changing........was for me.      

dang, who'd you hire that cost $350k? Most expensive guide ever.

• Confused 1

They pay all or most good guide service daily just for looking. I know some guys who get $150 per person a day for the gov. Whitetail tag. Chit gets expensive..

4 hours ago, bigbuckclub said:

Not that it matters all that much but because it was discussed so much in this thread... Mike Gallo is from the family that owns E&J Gallo Winery. He didn't build the business and from what I can tell didn't become CEO until some time this century. He's actually a grandson of the founders from what I can gather. 

Just wanted to point out that he didn't build the business, he inherited it. A little bit easier than being self-made... although that doesn't necessarily mean he's an idiot either.

You sound like Obama.  Him: " You didn't build that".  You:   "He didn't build the business, he inherited it".  Fact:  Its still running, he probably works his arse off to keep it profitable these days.    There's way more pressure on second, third, and fourth generation business owners now with the competition thats out there than there was in the good old days.   As you also  said, " not that it matters"..  then why bring it up? 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Are we 8 years old? My dad is richer than your dad? Jesus...... what is this coming to? Everyone, pull out your dicks...stretch them out and measure them. It’s time to restore order and hierarchy to this forum. 

I’m not that rich dude lol

889F88FE-0FB2-4FAE-A639-09353847E8DD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Ohthatguy said:

Funny you say that. This same guy also holds what I believe is the word record Antelope.  

Cheers.

Ill probably be chasing goats while pushing a walker lol

12 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

You sound like Obama.  Him: " You didn't build that".  You:   "He didn't build the business, he inherited it".  Fact:  Its still running, he probably works his arse off to keep it profitable these days.    There's way more pressure on second, third, and fourth generation business owners now with the competition thats out there than there was in the good old days.   As you also  said, " not that it matters"..  then why bring it up? 

I simply brought it up because people mentioned how hard (specifically) self made 1%ers work... he's not self made. Good for him for keeping the business successful. There are plenty of situations where large companies fail when the next generation takes over. Re-read my post... I didn't say anything negative... just laid out some facts. 

My opinion though: being handed the keys to a profitable and well established industry giant isn't that impressive. Sam Walton is impressive... his kids are successful, good for them... not as impressive. Buffett, Bezos, Ellison, Gates, etc. had to work significantly harder and take on much more risk than the Koch Bros, the Mars family, and the Waltons who all inherited industry giants, just like Mike Gallo. 

For the record, I'd spend that money the exact same way and I have no problem with the governor's tag or raffle tags. I think it's awesome to see the world class animals they harvest.

There is a giant difference between founding a company and inheriting one. There is so much more risk and significantly more challenges to founding a business compared to inheriting one. It's not even close. Keeping a business profitable is easier than building one from scratch.

This is not an attack on anyone's character and I'm sure Mike Gallo is a good person and I hope he keeps spending money for hunting and conservation like he has been. 

• Like 2

Technically, Michael doesnt  and never has had anything to do with E & J Gallo Wineries.  He runs Joseph Farms, which is a dairy and cheese manufacturer.  He  along with his father Joseph   started the cheese manufacturing in 1982 with  his dad who had  left the family wine  business years before to go into ranching.  When his father retired he  became the CEO.  

I would say thats a bit different than "inheriting" a company.  Pretty dang close to founding it.

• Like 3