apache12

Wolf with Yotes??

So my family was up camping in the White mtn Apache nation and we heard what sounded like a strange mix between weak elk bugles and not quite coyote noise.  So my son packed up to go investigate and he took this pics.   We think it was a Mexican wolf with two pups. And a coyote stalking the pups.  He was in a bowl with a Meadow in the bottom and then  trees all around the bowl.  The mama would stare at him and bark like a dog.  You’ll see she has the collar if you zoom in.   Then in two spots surrounding him in the bowl she would call to what he thinks were other wolves and they’d call back.   Then  There are two smaller pups following her. And then a lone coyote we think lurking behind them.   He was about 100 yards away so when he was there he thought he was just looking at coyote it wasn’t until he got home he blew up the pics and saw the collar and what he thought was a coyote looked like a wolf.   We’ve never seen Mexican wolves so we thought this page in the forum would have some knowledge.    Is that a wolf and pups. And then a yote?   Their sound are unlike anything we’d heard before. We’ve heard hundreds of bugles and coyotes this was different.   Hope you enjoy the pics. Glad to know your thoughts 

Pics are in order of  mama, mama, pup,pup, coyote    Hope they post that way

68A80725-873F-40DE-AB94-4F72EE7E90B1.jpeg

7C284C8E-56D7-4330-A700-411EC84EC743.jpeg

EE4EB492-BEFF-44C4-991B-52621033CEDD.jpeg

D72D3E9E-2CF8-441C-A95D-6A4DE5BE90B9.jpeg

59F2C7AD-D23B-4FAF-84F7-331AE86FFC14.jpeg

My wife and I saw something similar to this 3 years ago up at Knoll lake area. Looked a bit larger as it ran through campgrounds about 50yds from us, not all that concerned.

It also could be a "coy-wolf" hybrid. They are having issues with them back east as they are moving west. My brother shot one 4-5 years ago in Maine, walked right by him.

Sent me a pic. (on my old phone) so I'll see if I can recover it, but basically a large 50lbish coyote with a wolf like snout, and head.

good luck

goma

The only photo that i am not 100% sure on whether it is a wolf or not is the animal in the last photo. The others are definitely wolves. 

• Like 4

Greyghost85. That’s exactly what he saw. Dog in last pic looked like a coyotes chasing the mamas wolf pups.  One coyote though?  Crazy right?

I wish i could be more excited for you. The first time i saw a wolf, it was cool...after seeing 50+ the last 15 years or so, they start to lose their luster. 

• Like 2

The only time I think I saw one was a 1/4 mile from reservation lake.  He was on a dead sprint but it looked heavier than normal