Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

22 super jet

Anybody have a line on some dies for a 22 super jet?

my grandpa passed on the first of May and he was having me over time fireform brass for him. To this day I have no clue who loaded the ammo or how it was being planned to reload the formed cases. Hoping somebody knows something about this cartridge. Thanks

Cliff

1 hour ago, alexthomas1 said:

I have a line on some dies for a 22 super jet?

Is this a question or a statement? Do you have any die set ear pro combos?

9 minutes ago, cjl2010 said:

Is this a question or a statement? Do you have any die set ear pro combos?

I think it’s a spammer statement. 

• Like 3

Don't know squat about a .22 super jet, but it looks like they are formed from a .256 winchester case, from what Google tells me.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

Don't know squat about a .22 super jet, but it looks like they are formed from a .256 winchester case, from what Google tells me.

Thanks I’ll check it out

Are you sure it isn't a 22 Jet? No Super in the name. Also known as Remington 22 Jet. Case was based on 357 Mag case and so was the 256 Win Mag.

• Like 1

That looks like a rechamber from a different caliber (caliber ground off and renamed). You probably need to make a chamber cast to see what it is. It could be some ones wildcat that would need special dies. As Cazador stated there is the standard 22 Jet but I've never heard it called "super jet" before. Too bad you weren't able to get the dies or a fired/live round to see what the case actually looks like or what the parent case is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigorange said:

I think it’s a spammer statement. 

We have had  a serial spammer on here for a while. Still waiting for the Mods to bounce him.

You will have to either have custom dies made ($$$) or use a mixture of dies to reload the round.  Possibly use a 357 full length sizer to size the body then use a Hornady 22 SHORT neck die or 22PPC neck die to size the neck. To seat the bullet i'm not sure , possibly a 22ppc or 256 win mag seater.  It may also be call the 22 Jet Ackley Improved.

Good luck.

One other thing, if the rifle was originally a 22 jet the bore may be .223 instead of .224. I don't believe the 22 Jet was ever offered in anything but the S&W revolver so it should be .224.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitemann said:

You will have to either have custom dies made ($$$) or use a mixture of dies to reload the round.  Possibly use a 357 full length sizer to size the body then use a Hornady 22 SHORT neck die or 22PPC neck die to size the neck. To seat the bullet i'm not sure , possibly a 22ppc or 256 win mag seater.  It may also be call the 22 Jet Ackley Improved.

Good luck.

One other thing, if the rifle was originally a 22 jet the bore may be .223 instead of .224. I don't believe the 22 Jet was ever offered in anything but the S&W revolver so it should be .224.

Thank you sir 

Nightmann is correct. The 22 Jet ammo is loaded with .222" bullets which were made for the S&W model 43 which shot both 22LR ammo and 22 Jet ammo both of which are .223 diameter. It was presumed the .222" diameter bullets produced lower pressure in the revolver. Hornady is still making 222 diameter bullets and PRVI is still making brass in 22 Jet. I'll bet the bore on your rifle is .223". You will have to check that out by slugging the bore. You can send 4 or 5 fired cases and Whidden can probably make you a set of dies. You're probably looking at $200 for a set but talk to them. That's probably more than the rifle is worth but then there is that family thing.

• Like 1