Webber

New Mexico Elk hut raffle unit 15

I wanted to get some an opinion on doing this first,  I'm thinking about raffling one of my Unit 15 New Mexico Muzzleloader hunts Oct 12-16th landowner unit wide tag.  A fully guided hunt no fees the raffle would be 200 tickets at 100$ what is everyone's thoughts on this? 

What is the cause? Is it for some conservation org, or something??

I think if I knew what the cause was, I might be inclined to take a chance.  If it is just for an individual to profit, I don't think I would enter.

Those are my thoughts.....

Im guessing a normal price fully guided is what 13k-16k? You make 20k on the raffle deal. Im not decided on what I would do. I do know that I dont have $13-15k but I do have $100. I probably still wouldnt buy one but i would be tempted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webber said:

I wanted to get some an opinion on doing this first,  I'm thinking about raffling one of my Unit 15 New Mexico Muzzleloader hunts Oct 12-16th landowner unit wide tag.  A fully guided hunt no fees the raffle would be 200 tickets at 100$ what is everyone's thoughts on this? 

Who would be guiding? Accomodations, etc.?

There was a site called rut n hard or something like that where guys were constantly raffling stuff for just plain old profit.  Not only is it illegal it got kinda ugly.  They would continually extend deadlines because no one would buy tickets etc.  What would you do for instance if you only sold 30 tickets?  I’m guessing you’d punt on the thing and the guys who got tickets would be hosed.  Bad deal if you ask me.  Just throw the landowner tag on for sale and count your blessings.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I believe in order to have a raffle in Arizona you have to be a 501C.

Not sure you have to, but the laws are definitely a lot more lenient for 501c3. I ran into this running some raffles for a kids’ sports team...luckily we’re a 501c3 so it was a lot simpler. OP is probably in NM so the laws would be different. 

I agree with what others have posted...would need more details and definitely would make it more appealing if it were for a conservation group and not personal profit. 

43 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Not sure you have to, but the laws are definitely a lot more lenient for 501c3. I ran into this running some raffles for a kids’ sports team...luckily we’re a 501c3 so it was a lot simpler. OP is probably in NM so the laws would be different. 

I agree with what others have posted...would need more details and definitely would make it more appealing if it were for a conservation group and not personal profit. 

Quite possibly a different set of laws in NM but if people outside of NM purchase there could be Interstate Trade laws that apply as well as the laws for the state where the purchaser resides.

There could be a slew of gotchas so buyer and seller beware.

• Like 1

He own's the tag and they are transferable ,I dont have a problem with it. He should be able to do what he wants with it. As long as He reports it as income and pays taxes on it..I would think same thing if he sold it for 20k........BOB!

Personally, I think $100 raffle seems steep.  It’s one thing to throw $20 to get your name in the hat but $100 in order to have a 0.5% chance of winning anything seems steep.