Sign in to follow this  
kfallsrob

Taxidermy advice

I dropped a mule deer buck off to a taxidermist in Mesa that my son shot in November of 2016 and still have not gotten it back. I'm a patient person, but have started to get extremely irritated of the run around I am getting. About every 6 months I check in and ask how much longer and I get a different excuse every time. The hides back shouldn't be much longer, I wrote down your number on the list so we can get to it soon, we just measured everything and it should be done in a month or so, on and on. I just want a straight answer on return time, but It's obvious he is incapable of giving one.  I'm thinking about getting the horns and cape back and having someone else finish it, but I don't want to end up at the back of the line again. Any suggestions on someone who does quality work and could turn it around in a few months and what the approximate cost would be with the hide already tanned? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Close to 3 years for a mule deer is way too long.  Wow, you're in a tough spot. Hope it works out soon!

Yep, get the antlers and your cape back and take them somewhere else. I like using a good reputable taxidermist. This is something that you are going to hang in your house and look at for years if not decades, to me it makes a lot of sense to pay a little more and have work done by the best. I use Mogollon Taxidermy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, kfallsrob said:

I dropped a mule deer buck off to a taxidermist in Mesa that my son shot in November of 2016 and still have not gotten it back. I'm a patient person, but have started to get extremely irritated of the run around I am getting. About every 6 months I check in and ask how much longer and I get a different excuse every time. The hides back shouldn't be much longer, I wrote down your number on the list so we can get to it soon, we just measured everything and it should be done in a month or so, on and on. I just want a straight answer on return time, but It's obvious he is incapable of giving one.  I'm thinking about getting the horns and cape back and having someone else finish it, but I don't want to end up at the back of the line again. Any suggestions on someone who does quality work and could turn it around in a few months and what the approximate cost would be with the hide already tanned? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I am a master taxidermist, over 50 years , Now retired . So. I am not offering to do it.. But , I can tell  you the fact, this is the most common problem- in this business. This happens frequently. Is very difficult for the customer. The only way that I have seen it corrected ,is legally. That cost time & more money. One thing that might work:; Offer a little more reason , to get it done - promptly. Like 30 days; If he still has your -Parts.      * One of my archery Coues( I mounted it several years ago).

IMG_1231 (2).JPG

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

An ethical taxidermist should be very up front about expected turn around time.  I know a good one in young thats booked solid for 2 years because he does amazing work. The difference is he tells them up front and they are happy to wait for his quality of work. 

You should post who the taxidermist is. There was a real similar story on here awhile back.  

• Like 2

If nothing else get your cape and antlers back ASAP. That is if they are not lost/stolen or ruined. If its not someone you know or trust 3 years is way too long.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Looks like fake antlers. 

They look real. They just look like they came from Ohio. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SEEKER said:

I am a master taxidermist, over 50 years , Now retired . So. I am not offering to do it.. But , I can tell  you the fact, this is the most common problem- in this business. This happens frequently. Is very difficult for the customer. The only way that I have seen it corrected ,is legally. That cost time & more money. One thing that might work:; Offer a little more reason , to get it done - promptly. Like 30 days; If he still has your -Parts.      * One of my archery Coues( I mounted it several years ago).

IMG_1231 (2).JPG

This is comical 🤣

With those skills, I'm sure that cat did look Full-Gay.