CJNAZ

Tire update - Nitto's response

After lots of researching and discussions in this forum I pulled the trigger on Nitto Grappler G2 E-rated for my RAM 2500. This was about 2 years and 24K miles ago. Regular rotations. Did well until this past month. Tread separation on 2 tires so far. Luckily I caught it before taking out a fender or bedside.  Have the certs from Discount and they have treated me fairly thru this. They are working with Nitto to see if the other 2 will be replaced as well. I expect that to be at minimal cost to me. Otherwise I will be writing off Nitto from my preferred choice. I'll update this update once I find out what Nitto comes back with.

I think I am headed in soon for another set of BFGs. They have always been good to me. 

I am intrigued by the Goodyear ultra-terrain but they dont have a tread life warranty either for the 3 peaks rated version so I will probably stick with BFG. 

I second the Cooper tire and sorry to hear about your tires, but Nitto's are junk on heavy duty trucks. Also junk on heavy duty trucks BFG KO's, Yokohama and I believe Coopers are made in the USA. I'm on my second set of Coopers and with regular rotations hold up very well and stay quiet.

• Like 1

I know that people talk crap about BFG on heavy trucks but I have had probably 6 sets on 2 different Dodge 2500 diesels with good success. I am not hauling heavy all the time but my previous truck was loaded with tools, ladders, chains, and construction materials all the time and I would get 60k from a set with mostly highway miles.

They have the new "DT" compound that is harder and specifically designed for heavier trucks. They have a 50k Treadway warranty. 

• Like 1

Max pressure and consistent rotations as well as good alignment are key to making any tire last. I even run 10 ply on the half ton.

So, after Discount contacting them and me contacting them, Nitto basically said "go pound sand", we will not pro-rate any replacements, or provide any incentives for replacing the remaining 2 tires until they too begin to separate tread. Pretty much sealed the deal with me that I will not be involved in anything favorable towards Nitto. The Discount Tire guys though are outstanding. They cut me a smoking deal on replacement for the remaining 2 tires. I'll run them until I set aside enough funds to purchase a different set of tires.

• Like 1

Not good news. I have run Nittos on the last four trucks and have around 25000 on my Tundra set now. Have to wonder if this is going to happen to me.

I put the same Nitto's on my Chevy 2500Hd, they started separating around 24k miles. Luckily I could feel it at low speed, so no body damage. Throwing $ out the window. 😠

• Like 1

I got 50,000 plus miles  on each of the 4 sets of Grapplers I have bought through Tire Pro's. 

I made the mistake of getting some Toyo's once because they were a $100 cheaper. They lasted 30,000 miles. 

7 hours ago, JSR said:

I got 50,000 plus miles  on each of the 4 sets of Grapplers I have bought through Tire Pro's. 

I made the mistake of getting some Toyo's once because they were a $100 cheaper. They lasted 30,000 miles. 

Nitto and Toyo are basically the same company. Usually it is the other way around though. Nitto's are cheaper, and Toyos are more expensive. I had a set of the Toyo AT's and wasn't overly impressed.

• Like 1

Can we turn this into a "Best tire to run on 3/4 ton trucks" thread?  I'm looking to replace the tires on my RAM 2500 which I used to tow my 5th wheel.  I'm leaning towards the BFG K02's

• Sad 1

Think of how much "wheeling" you do with your 2500. I will put 10 ply street tires again until the day comes I actually hunt from the big truck. But ko2 10 ply on last 1/2 ton I hunted with. Whatever tire you get max that air pressure for max tire life.