CJNAZ

Tire update - Nitto's response

I had 3 10-ply Nitto Terra Grappler's separate on me at different times and mileage variations on my Ram 2500.  I switched over to the Toyo Open Country RT's and have a bout 70,000+ mileage on them and they still have decent tread left.  I will never buy Nittos again!!!

I had Discount pro-rate or all together credit the Nittos, because they were getting so used to seeing me.  I told them I no longer felt safe with them on my truck and that there was enough of a paper trail to hold them liable if something bad happened.

• Like 1

BFGs TKO's lasted just over 1 year on my dodge 2500. The rubber compound is too soft for  3/4 trucks and if you tow a 5 th wheel it's game over. I'm on my 5th set of Coopers AT3. Love them!! When I made the switch, believe it or not, my gas mileage improved over the BFG's.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Norteno said:

Can we turn this into a "Best tire to run on 3/4 ton trucks" thread?  I'm looking to replace the tires on my RAM 2500 which I used to tow my 5th wheel.  I'm leaning towards the BFG K02's

I know there has been at one thread on that subject in the last year.

Bfg ko on 1/2tons, jeeps, Toyotas are great! 3/4 tons pulling trailers not a good choice about 30-40000 is absolute max. Not happy with them for my 2500 ram.

BFG recently released the AT's with a harder compound for the heavier trucks. I think that is what is going on my truck next. 

I thought it was a great deal.  When I shredded one of my Cooper tires, Discount Tire would replace the tire with a spanking new one for just $25.  I never had to worry about tread ware, because I was going through more than 4 tires a year.  I was shredding the sidewalls on those Coopers in these sharp AZ rocks.  Over time, I just got tired of changing tires out in the boonies.  Lots of time was lost changing tires and situations were often quite precarious.  

After about 5 years and about 15 to 20 new tires, I sold the Coopers as they all had fresh tread.   I put on Goodrich BFGs.  I have not had a flat since.  Tread ware with my BFGs isn't great, but serious offroading on these rocks eats rubber, so tread life won't be great either way.

I have general tires on my dodge 2500 and I absolutely love them they are a great tire they dont wear unevenly and they provide great traction in the mud sand and gravel very low road noise I am throughly impressed with them. And would recommend them to anyone. And I only spent about $650 on all 4 of them through tirerack.com and got a $100 rebate from general tire. 

1 hour ago, Bigfish86 said:

I have general tires on my dodge 2500 and I absolutely love them they are a great tire they dont wear unevenly and they provide great traction in the mud sand and gravel very low road noise I am throughly impressed with them. And would recommend them to anyone. And I only spent about $650 on all 4 of them through tirerack.com and got a $100 rebate from general tire. 

General grabbers? 

Just ordered a set of Hancock dynapro AT2’s. I had the older version before and they did good. This is for the truck that sees mostly highway but dirt roads daily. Have the BFG mud terrains on the hunting truck.