Spent the weekend scouting the Big Boquillas ranch in unit 10 for my upcoming rifle hunt and boy was I DISCOURAGED!! That place was nothing like i had expected. Did i expect to see 80”+ antelope everywhere, NO. Did i expect to see less than 20 antelope in 2 days, heck no! I couldn’t believe how few antelope i saw. Not to mention after about 9-10 am the heat waves are so bad you’re lucky to glass beyond 300 yards. I saw 1 buck in 2 days of scouting that may get close to 80”, only saw him for about a minute though. Every other buck i saw was lucky to hit 72”. I spoke to a few other guys on the ranch and they were pretty much seeing the same antelope I was. I was not expecting those low numbers! 

1 hour ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Spent the weekend scouting the Big Boquillas ranch in unit 10 for my upcoming rifle hunt and boy was I DISCOURAGED!! That place was nothing like i had expected. Did i expect to see 80”+ antelope everywhere, NO. Did i expect to see less than 20 antelope in 2 days, heck no! I couldn’t believe how few antelope i saw. Not to mention after about 9-10 am the heat waves are so bad you’re lucky to glass beyond 300 yards. I saw 1 buck in 2 days of scouting that may get close to 80”, only saw him for about a minute though. Every other buck i saw was lucky to hit 72”. I spoke to a few other guys on the ranch and they were pretty much seeing the same antelope I was. I was not expecting those low numbers! 

Uhoh, thats not what we were hoping to hear.  But . . . wait to see what happens as the monsoons die down and the rut kicks in.  I dont have any experience with unit 10, but I do know on my previous hunts elsewhere that bucks showed up where there had previously been nothing.

8 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Uhoh, thats not what we were hoping to hear.  But . . . wait to see what happens as the monsoons die down and the rut kicks in.  I dont have any experience with unit 10, but I do know on my previous hunts elsewhere that bucks showed up where there had previously been nothing.

Wait for the monsoon to die down?When have the monsoon got started?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Wait for the monsoon to die down?When have the monsoon got started?

Been raining everyday that I have been up north. 

2 hours ago, Flatlander said:

It didn’t seem like the rains have been crazy up there. There were some dry tanks. The roads were very dry as well. Most of the bucks i saw were with a doe or two at the most. Never did see a group of more than 3. 

I was up there on Sat. and saw 5 herds of about 10 - 15 in each.  I also saw two solo bucks.  All bucks including the herd bucks were small.  I was also expecting to see more.  I didn't see anyone else scouting antelope, but saw plenty scouting for elk.  Only two scouting for elk had seen any antelope.

This was my first time hunting unit 10 so I was mainly trying to cover a lot of area and figure out the roads.

I did see a bachelor group of elk on a tank right about dusk.

unit 10 elk.jpg

9 hours ago, measafrontier said:

I was up there on Sat. and saw 5 herds of about 10 - 15 in each.  I also saw two solo bucks.  All bucks including the herd bucks were small.  I was also expecting to see more.  I didn't see anyone else scouting antelope, but saw plenty scouting for elk.  Only two scouting for elk had seen any antelope.

This was my first time hunting unit 10 so I was mainly trying to cover a lot of area and figure out the roads.

unit 10 elk.jpg

We’re you on or off the Boquillas when you saw the antelope? 

I've been watching the weather radar everyday looking for rain up there and I have seen very few storms pass over the area. 10 more days! 😵

We were up in 10 scouting with my friend and saw 2 decent bucks doing about mach 6 once they saw the truck,and 1 small buck just standing in middle of the road. He then proceeded to walk past on drivers side about 30 yards away.  On the plus side we saw a couple of hundred burros. They kept me up most of the night braying.

IMG_5504.jpg

Edited by bhuntin
add pic

On the ranch.