AZ8

Sitting water might be a good strategy.....

......come September. 

IMG_20190814_090121.jpg

39 minutes ago, AverageJoe said:

Now you jinxed everything. Will probably rain 3” between now and then

Let’s hope and maybe more.

• Like 1

Lance you got the hot spot, west side not even 1 inch.  A good place to sit water is where there isnt any.

Poor monsoon season, but it seemed like it was a great winter and spring for rain. Sounds like a great year to have an archery tag. 

I agree 100% with this topic. I have a early archery tag this year and I'm thinking I'll be sitting more water than usually. Even if they're being more vocal and aggressive 

• Like 1

There is actually more water around than the news reports. Gotta figure where they get their rain fall readings is mostly in town and not out in the woods.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AverageJoe said:

Now you jinxed everything. Will probably rain 3” between now and then

Hardly. Lol.   Weather service is calling for more of the same during the next 10-14 days!! Hot and dry, with another heatwave next week for us poor souls in the desert. With the exception to Lance down there, it’s been a dud monsoon so far. 

This is irrelevant to growth as the bulls have already rubbed. It’s just something to think about as far as strategy. If I found a hidden wallow or small pool, and I had a tag,  I know what I’d be doing! 😎

Percent of normal since start of monsoon, June 15th.

A1F633F4-D4E0-4612-AE6F-9A85DA8BF026.png

1 hour ago, tyler1215 said:

I agree 100% with this topic. I have a early archery tag this year and I'm thinking I'll be sitting more water than usually. Even if they're being more vocal and aggressive 

It could change on a dime this time of year. All it would take is a tropical storm down south to shoot up north and dump rain on us. Just have a plan A,B,C,D,E.... haha

• Like 2

The weather service has a hard time getting the weather correct from day to day, I wouldn't put to much trust in a 10-14 day prediction, just me. it rained in small patches today east of flagstaff and that was not recorded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CATERPILLAR said:

The weather service has a hard time getting the weather correct from day to day, I wouldn't put to much trust in a 10-14 day prediction, just me. it rained in small patches today east of flagstaff and that was not recorded.

True. But it’s a lot more fun to talk elk strategy as opposed to the other stuff going on lately here on CWT! 😀

I agree, sitting water is always a viable option. I have seen elk drinking out of tanks when it was raining. It is really green up around flagstaff right now and there is water in most small draws, at least where I have a tag. I would rather chase elk than sit and wait for elk.

On 8/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, CATERPILLAR said:

There is actually more water around than the news reports. Gotta figure where they get their rain fall readings is mostly in town and not out in the woods.

C/P ....See that you live in Flagstaff. Seems to be a good place for outdoors men.  Saw your discussion on sitting water. Sounds good. Especially for a man of my age 82..

I Tagged a really big bull  (400+) in 2012 this way. This year I will not try for a huge bull. Just wondering if the elk are very vocal yet?  I was thinking  about trying Schultz area first?What do you say? My second choice - flagstaff-Ranch area. Are you hunting this year? Thanks