AZ8

Sitting water might be a good strategy.....

My main two tanks just have a little mud in them. A tank that has been dry the last few years was completely full this weekend. Completely not what I was expecting. Its throwing a wrench in my game plans 

On 8/14/2019 at 6:55 PM, AZ8 said:

It could change on a dime this time of year. All it would take is a tropical storm down south to shoot up north and dump rain on us. Just have a plan A,B,C,D,E.... haha

Heber got drenched yesterday.......water running down the street zero visibility.....some tanks got some water on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’ve seen homemade signs before or more commonly a vehicle parked at the road going in...assuming only one way in. I don’t think it’s consistently done though. 

Heading to NM this weekend to help my buddy on a tag...was hoping to help him chase bugles. Sounds like more of the same over there hot but water everywhere and lots of hunters sitting tanks this past weekend. 

20 hours ago, SEEKER said:

C/P ....See that you live in Flagstaff. Seems to be a good place for outdoors men.  Saw your discussion on sitting water. Sounds good. Especially for a man of my age 82..

I Tagged a really big bull  (400+) in 2012 this way. This year I will not try for a huge bull. Just wondering if the elk are very vocal yet?  I was thinking  about trying Schultz area first?What do you say? My second choice - flagstaff-Ranch area. Are you hunting this year? Thanks 

Both of those areas would be good. probably gonna be a lot more people than other areas in 11M. If just after an elk I would find water and sit all day everyday you will get something for sure. 

I wouldn't put signs up, its just going to draw unwanted attention from people who think you have something really good coming to water. just get to your blind before everyone else and wave people off as they come in. if they are respectful hunters they will leave when they realize they have been beat to a spot. And for god sake don't use reflective thumb tacks to lead the way to your secret spot, everyone else can see them as well.

20 hours ago, SEEKER said:

C/P ....See that you live in Flagstaff. Seems to be a good place for outdoors men.  Saw your discussion on sitting water. Sounds good. Especially for a man of my age 82..

I Tagged a really big bull  (400+) in 2012 this way. This year I will not try for a huge bull. Just wondering if the elk are very vocal yet?  I was thinking  about trying Schultz area first?What do you say? My second choice - flagstaff-Ranch area. Are you hunting this year? Thanks 

Yes I do have a tag this year.

5 hours ago, CATERPILLAR said:

Both of those areas would be good. probably gonna be a lot more people than other areas in 11M. If just after an elk I would find water and sit all day everyday you will get something for sure. 

C/P- Thanks for you answer.Yes ,a full mature bull is o k . Because the odds of a really nice bull are - not good.

I saw a really big one in 6 b a few days ago. But he may not step over into 11 M.  Too much going on.

On 8/14/2019 at 7:07 PM, CATERPILLAR said:

I agree, sitting water is always a viable option. I have seen elk drinking out of tanks when it was raining. It is really green up around flagstaff right now and there is water in most small draws, at least where I have a tag. I would rather chase elk than sit and wait for elk.

I agree- who wouldn't! Sitting is boring . I think for archery - ambush is more successful.  Bit still   I am the SEEKER, CHASER,& ( the old saying) get m -while they are there!.

My SAMSON -IS FAST, FLAT ,ACCURATE &  EFFECTIVE -ALL REASONABLE RANGES!