Sign in to follow this  
cardawg

Tikka T3X vs Savage 110

Looking to buy for my grandson for Christmas,he's a lefty so the options are limited.It's down to the T3X Lite 270 Stainless or the Savage 110 storm 270 ,any input or experience with these would be helpful.Thanks in advance

You are going to get an overwhelming vote for the Tikka in this forum but I'll say that Savage storm would be a great gun for a youth with the LOP adapters.

I went with a lightweight storm in 6.5CR for my youth and backcountry carry rifle and while I've been fire-forming virgin brass and velocity searching for reloading, it has shot a few .5" groups.

Both are accurate, Tikka is just a better built, more refined gun. But also more expensive. 

I’m gonna say savage. Killed many animals. Rugged, accurate, any part/accessory/ upgrade you can think of is readily available. Absolutely plenty accurate for anyone short of true long range shooting. Cheap. The Remington 870 of rifles. Even the low end axis rifles I’ve been around shoot plenty well.

cant go wrong with tikka either though...

Agreed seems there’s lots of hype for the Tikka and their MOA guarantee. But it seems every Savage I’ve shot tends to be 1/2 MOA. I’ve been really impressed with Savage. Will your grandson get to shoulder it before buying?  Seems with youth the most important thing is that they like it. 

He's tried them both on at Sportmans thinking they were for me.I asked him with one he liked better and he said your Remington ,he got his first Javelina last year with my old 700

I own both.......maybe a few others too😎.   I've got the Tikka superlite in .308 and it drives tacks.   Absolutely a great gun.   I'll tell you the things I really like about the Tikka.   I lightened the trigger with a simple change of a $10 spring.   It breaks really, really clean and is one of the better production triggers I've shot.    Set it at a measured 1.5#'s.    Could get down to 2.5# with the stock spring.   Then I changed the bolt stop to a long action so I could load the bullets long on a .308 and got a 300 win mag magazine.   Works like a charm and was super simple to do.  It comes with a 3 round mag stock.   I upgraded to a 5 round mag for a little extra capacity.   I just think it is cool to have the option.    The Tikka rifles are really easy to work on and there are a ton of you tube videos on everything you would want to do to the gun.  

I just bought a savage and have shot a few others.   I don't have as much in depth knowledge about the Savage guns.    The ones I've shot did really good.   I'm not a fan of their trigger but I'm a bit of a snob in regards to triggers.   I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either.    My guess is the Tikka is a bit lighter than the Savage but it might depend on models too.    I'm shooting a 178 grain bullet WAY over max for a .308 and the recoil is very nice.   I had other .308's that would beat the crap out of me but the Tikka is built really nice to make the recoil very moderate for as light as the gun is.   My gun comes in at 7 pounds with a scope.    I could shoot it all day and be happy.  

I have owned about 4 of each, both have excellent out of the box accuracy. At least they did have. The only thing that I would worry about in a Savage, is how many employees that ATK laid off after they acuired Savage. I would have to guess that there had to have been some quality let go in there somewhere.

Savage shoot great and so does the Tikka.  Tikka is just a overall better higher quality gun.  If its about price get Savage.  I like quality So Tikka, Savage just feels cheap.  But again it will do the job and last as long as a good hunting rifle

I own 2 savages and have loved shooting them. The triggers are workable and break crisp and clean when tuned. For the price Savage!