Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Prickly pear syrup and jelly

Have not made it in 2 years so one of my daughters and I picked some fruits here. Pickings were tough this year. Did end up having an awesome time with my daughter. Great time in the heat. 

Anyway,  got about 8 gallons of pears. Made a bunch of syrup for drink mixers, ice cream and pancakes,  and used the rest to make a bunch of prickly pear, blueberry and raspberry jam. Turned out awesome! Pics of the finished product. 

20190818_182835.jpg

• Like 4

Should have taken more pics but did not. This batch turned out amazing! Will do some more in two weeks if I can get out again. Few tricks learned each time I do it to minimize effort and time while maximizing product. Quite simple recipe and more than worth it to make your own and share with friends and family!

16 hours ago, My Rights As An American said:

Should have taken more pics but did not. This batch turned out amazing! Will do some more in two weeks if I can get out again. Few tricks learned each time I do it to minimize effort and time while maximizing product. Quite simple recipe and more than worth it to make your own and share with friends and family!

Can you share the recipe?

Half prickly pear juice, half any other fruit (I like blueberry and raspberry)—crush and mix the fruit. Strain the juice for a jelly, do not strain for a jam (my preference)

equal amount sugar

about half cup lemon juice for each few cups of fruit juice

pectin per instructions

Bring fruit to a rolling boil with lemon juice. Stirring constantly. Add the sugar and return to boil for a couple minutes. Add pectin. Stir constantly. Return to boil. Stir constantly. Instructions say to boil for exactly one minute and then spoon into jars. However, I have found it does not set as well in my experience. I will slowly boil and skim off the foam for an additional 20-30 minutes, stirring to keep the mixture from burning until the mixture starts to gel on a spoon in the freezer for a few minutes. Then pour into hot, clean jars to 1/4 inch from the top. Seal firmly and flip over, I do not use a pressure canner. Never found the need, this has worked every time. Super easy. Hardest parts are juicing prickly pear and cleanup. 

Juicing prickly pear: singe off prickers with propane torch on both sides. Rinse in bucket and swirl to remove extras missed. Cut off both ends and split in half. Then stick in blender with a bit of water to help pull out juices. Strain three times or use a  pillow case to allow juices to drain through. Does not stain pillow case at all!

cleanup: you are on your own with that one! Hot water the moment you are done as everything is now sticky!

24 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

For syrup, use only the juice and no pectin and just do not cook as long. Simple recipe!

Thanks we are going to try some.