Sign in to follow this  
My Rights As An American

Prickly pear syrup and jelly

12 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

i used to go to the desert to grab them but now i just drive around mesa and grab them off the side of the road.

You are talking about Prickly Pear correct?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I completely suck at being at being a pioneer wife.  

Collected a ton of pears yesterday and went through all the proper steps and my juice tastes like crap. It actually tastes like stink bugs.  No idea what I am doing wrong.  Going to collect some more and try again.   

^ did you put in enough sugar? I do 1:1 juice to sugar mixture. I also add a little bit of lime juice.

I just made some. See how it tastes tomorrow. It’s good on ice cream 

didnt even get that far.   The juice itself just smelled and tasted bad after juicing. Tried several different methods of juicing.  Some worked better than others but all tasted and smelled bad.   

Am I missing  something? Is that  just the way it is supposed to be? As good as the fruit tastes I couldn't believe the juice was so different.  

were they over ripe? i noticed the over ripe batches have an earthy taste. the straight juice tastes terrible imo. but boiled down with a bunch of sugar its good af 

Probably nailed it. They were pretty ripe.    Maybe I just had incorrect expectations as to the juice taste too.  I will try again.   I hate flying blind.  Lol.  Thanks for the input.  

What's the ideal look? And what's over ripe look like?

Gonna let the kids decide between a prickly picking or a Rick and Morty marathon while the ribs cook.

i like them pink to red. the one batch i made with dark purple ones didnt taste very good. the stuff i made last night came out good even though i was pretty wasted while making it. 

• Like 1