biglakejake

More of this

This is the single best topic i have seen in 15 years on the forum.  Millions of hunters the world over can only dream of such an awesome hunt for the magical Coues deer in the sky islands of Arizona or on the rim.  None of us get up at 3am for blake owens or  the daily politics-we get up to fulfill our passions for the remaining wild outdoors.  Burning legs getting up to that high saddle  or rocky point at daylight.  Getting to see and experience sights and emotions perhaps no one else ever will, or has, and we should spend some time writing it down and passing it on. 

The new seasons are upon us-even the next month will bring special memories and even some trophy's.   And that little velvet s;pike-someone's first ever archery buck-would be far more interesting to read about than a thousand posts of political crap.  This forum has changed-a lot of good hunters have left and its our loss-I don't think I would have joined the way it is now.  Why did we run off all those good people?

lee

• Like 13

I miss those early days of CWT.com.  I still read the forum every couple of weeks but rarely post here these days even though I still have great hunting success.  It seems a lot of times these posts will get those knotheads that want to nitpick everything.  I mostly post my stuff on my Instagram account.

Scott

• Like 10

I remember reading Amanda's post a few days after it was up on the forum. I've read it a couple of times since then and just enjoyed it again. Thanks Amanda and friends. I too miss hunt stories but surely can't blame anyone for not posting a hunt story. The nit pick police have multiplied and are everywhere. They can spoil most anything good.

I saw some posts several months back by members echoing your thoughts.  Also some requesting more civility in language and basic respect for other forum members.  In both cases the Johnny come lately trolls attacked them as weak, and essentially told them to go find another forum.  I've sent messages of concern to moderators.  Nothing changes.  It's still a good site and I appreciate those who take the time to run it.  Josh, Jim, Gino, Lance, and most of the originals have moved on.  I have mostly moved on as well, but I also come back around once in a while.  

Hells Half Acre 2006

001.thumb.jpg.b99a616c4a75c13784bf8349e05a8dfe.jpg

along about 1968 that fellow there Bob Kyhn and i started hunting lizards and snakes around far east mesa.  by the end of the 1970's we  had hunted, trapped and fished our way across every rock in eastern Arizona.  Bob was there for my first mulie and i was there for his first Coues deer.   i almost got us killed during a spring scouting trip in the goldfields about 1975 but Bob saved the day.  the 1980's brought us both brides and kids followed by a new passion.  Bob got sheep fever, i  started suffering from tuna fever and we both hunted hard.  i moved back to Arizona in 1993, bought some good glass and got this great mentor who guided for Duwane Adams.  evil grin.  had some times from Bill Williams mountain to Four Bar Mesa and down to Sasabe.

this 2006 bull is one i can never forget.  Bob and Rex Cullifer worked their butts off for free getting me the shot on this old bull with 58" of mass.  lots of character, not much score, couldn't have been happier.  when we started looking at the bulls in this country Bob wanted to make sure i could get the job done at 500yds with my pre64 30/06.  it was about shooting light plus 2 minutes when a 16yo friend of Bobs eyeballed it and Mr. Kyhn said "6x6 474yds".  i set up on my tripod with a Webster bino strap mount on it(remember those?) and started to squeeze a nosler partition off when a car alarm started gioing off about 600yds up the hill.  really.   i closed the deal with one shot, it took over  7 hours to get the packs out and the novice father and son Bob and Rex invited helped make the day.  i was recovering from a pinched nerve and they had to tie my left hand to the bulls antler as i packed the head out on my back.  can not get any better.

this was a long time ago but its all about the good friends who made it possible-all i had  to do was make the shot.  i was hoping not to disappoint them.   i can't take pics or write like Amanda or Bill Quimby but i gave it a shot.  i'll never get to do it again.  lost track of Bob when he ended up in the hamberlin camp.

lee

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

Hells Half Acre 2006

along about 1968 that fellow there Bob Kyhn and i started hunting lizards and snakes around far east mesa.  by the end of the 1970's we  had hunted, trapped and fished our way across every rock in eastern Arizona.  Bob was there for my first mulie and i was there for his first Coues deer.   i almost got us killed during a spring scouting trip in the goldfields about 1975 but Bob saved the day.  the 1980's brought us both brides and kids followed by a new passion.  Bob got sheep fever, i  started suffering from tuna fever and we both hunted hard.  i moved back to Arizona in 1993, bought some good glass and got this great mentor who guided for Duwane Adams.  evil grin.  had some times from Bill Williams mountain to Four Bar Mesa and down to Sasabe.

this 2006 bull is one i can never forget.  Bob and Rex Cullifer worked their butts off for free getting me the shot on this old bull with 58" of mass.  lots of character, not much score, couldn't have been happier.  when we started looking at the bulls in this country Bob wanted to make sure i could get the job done at 500yds with my pre64 30/06.  it was about shooting light plus 2 minutes when a 16yo friend of Bobs eyeballed it and Mr. Kyhn said "6x6 474yds".  i set up on my tripod with a Webster bino strap mount on it(remember those?) and started to squeeze a nosler partition off when a car alarm started gioing off about 600yds up the hill.  really.   i closed the deal with one shot, it took over  7 hours to get the packs out and the novice father and son Bob and Rex invited helped make the day.  i was recovering from a pinched nerve and they had to tie my left hand to the bulls antler as i packed the head out on my back.  can not get any better.

this was a long time ago but its all about the good friends who made it possible-all i had  to do was make the shot.  i was hoping not to disappoint them.   i can't take pics or write like Amanda or Bill Quimby but i gave it a shot.  i'll never get to do it again.  lost track of Bob when he ended up in the hamberlin camp.

lee

amusing side note:  during the early 1990's Arizona Hunter and Angler magazine listed Bob Kyhn as the saltwater editor.  he had never fished the salt in his life.

I feel your pain, but you have to give up or stand up with all the social media bull$hitt.. It ain't going away.

On 8/19/2019 at 5:33 PM, biglakejake said:

Hells Half Acre 2006

lee

I thought I recognized that Bob Kyhn name right away. Duwane Adams is a hilarious story teller.  One night he was telling us all a story about being on a hunt with him and Bob. They were in a restaurant and Bob started strutting and gobbling like a turkey, it was apparently a spot on impression that had the entire restaurant cracking up.  Seeing Duwane do them I impersonation of Bob was freakin funny as heck.  

Good ol days are gone Gents. It’s competing for likes, sponsorships,Writing reviews and posting pics with your new bino harness and cooler is the norm. a lot of trophy pics look like product endorsements nowadays.it shouldn’t be this way. Maybe we should challlend ourselves to turn this batch around.