Sign in to follow this  
Ohthatguy

Color phase changes

I came across this little guy and didn't notice his brown cape until reviewing the video. (I initially thought it was just sunlight)

Will he maintain this little cape pattern as he grows or will it continuously change, grow, spread or disappear? 

And the impossible question; any guesses on age or weight? 

Would he be legal to shoot if no mother was around? (And NO, I wouldn't shoot him but I noticed that quite a few people shot 1 year old bears according to the GnF age/harvest report) 

20190819_123711.jpg

• Like 1

I am a believer in genetics.  The underfur will shed each year, but I think the hair will stay.  In my opinion, such hair color alleles interact co-dominantly and each of those unique colors will be displayed (similar to a paint pony, dalmation dog, or black and white pattered cow).  In the last example, the black and white pattered cow will always be black and white.  It's hair alleles will maintain that co-dominance relationship, as opposed to a completely dominant relationship where the cow turns completely black or an incompletely dominant one where the alleles mix to produce a grey cow.  Genetics 101.  I hope that helps.

• Thanks 1