idgaf

when an average hunter gets a strip tag. In the field updates

I posted a separate thread as I unexpectedly drew a 12AW early rifle tag. This was a great read from front to back, but I am so glad I just picked up a set of LT Toyo Open Countrys today from a buddy that put 1000 miles on them and took them off for something else.  I’m mounting them up just for this trip.

I hunted a couple goat paths the FS calls roads in CO 71 last year archery elk on a new set of P-metric General summer tires.  Neither my tires nor my Ridgeline should have been there based on the looks I got from the guys in the Rubicon and the SxSs.  I got lucky I guess, I was all over that unit with no flats.  I didn’t feel like tempting fate twice, but it sounds like I might want to bring a trailer with about a dozen spares even with the LT upgrade. 😁

Great write up.  Did not see the plot twist at the end!

7 hours ago, 3darcher2 said:

I posted a separate thread as I unexpectedly drew a 12AW early rifle tag. This was a great read from front to back, but I am so glad I just picked up a set of LT Toyo Open Countrys today from a buddy that put 1000 miles on them and took them off for something else.  I’m mounting them up just for this trip.

I hunted a couple goat paths the FS calls roads in CO 71 last year archery elk on a new set of P-metric General summer tires.  Neither my tires nor my Ridgeline should have been there based on the looks I got from the guys in the Rubicon and the SxSs.  I got lucky I guess, I was all over that unit with no flats.  I didn’t feel like tempting fate twice, but it sounds like I might want to bring a trailer with about a dozen spares even with the LT upgrade. 😁

Great write up.  Did not see the plot twist at the end!

Unless you get a big snowstorm on the early 12AW hunt you could drive a car on most roads where the deer will be that time of year.

2 hours ago, 654321 said:

Unless you get a big snowstorm on the early 12AW hunt you could drive a car on most roads where the deer will be that time of year.

Yeah I’m more worried about flats.  I’ve been in 12A one time in ‘99 and I only skimmed the surface.  I don’t want to be 100 miles from the nearest tire shop with a truck full of flats.  I’ve seen other posts about a lot of flats on the Kaibab as well.  Better safe than sorry.

I spent like 45 days north of the canyon that year between bison and strip hunting. The reason for so many flats was they had just grated highway 5 on the strip and my truck was still using the dealer tires. 12west roads are easy to navigate 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:29 AM, high rise hunter said:

Thanks for resurrecting. That was blast to read. Best thread I've seen in a long *ss time.

Yes go back 1 page for DELW post.  Nice.