idgaf

when an average hunter gets a strip tag. In the field updates

On 8/21/2019 at 1:11 PM, lancetkenyon said:

For me....

20190821_130830_zps2rjzhlep.png

Same for me, the one on the right is just too unique.

Day 2,

Hectic day, my brother picked the spot Saturday we went down to deffinbaugh.  I was cursing him most of the way because we didnt get there until after 800.  But the action made up for it.  around 930 we see bunch of bucks that I take a look at.  there is a giant typical bigger (deeper forks anyway) than the one in the pic I posted.  I get to 78 yards and wait,wait, and wait some more.  Something has the other 8 bucks skittish and blowing.  I try to force the issue but get busted and they take off like a cheetah chasing them. 

Twenty minutes later we meet up with GF officer.  Really nice guy, I  showed him some pictures and he said "you are passing up that".  Litterally just after that we run into a group of three bucks that I make a play on.  I get to 67 yards and feel very comfortable with the shot and miss.  This buck was younger but had mass and points for days.  

we park there and do some searching hoping to get caught up.  around 100 we sitting in a pine draw having lunch and throwing pine cones at each when I spot antlers.  219 yards away. I have my shows off to take out the stickers from socks.  My brother says SHOOT IT.  and I say we will let fate decide if I can within range I will take the shot.  I get to 67 yards again (I just practiced at a waterhole after my earlier miss.  He stands, I release, and he Matrix's my arrow.  

The stalk  You can see his horns ffour trees from me 

24-1.PNG.c5d02fcabc7c6da1652a015f975fd94e.PNG

24-2.PNG.758bc631be62bc78adb37c170906312d.PNG

The witching hour

It starts with me seeing the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen with kicker on each side  making him have 40 inch outside spread or very close to it.  (I drop my bow arm and wiff it)  Next we see this little guy and few of his friends. than a big group of 10 with a typical with double eyeguards.  

24-3.PNG.ce95c3c68ca6dd78160add3daca94c0e.PNG

• Like 7

Sitting in a Walmart in St George for the last few hours with a flat. Here  is a few pics from our exploring

IMG_20190824_113909.thumb.jpg.fbcc7f3c5c4967db9b41b5f75671f01f.jpgwaring cabins

IMG_20190824_114013.thumb.jpg.67bb3fdb6d83bc00dbebea51db4c0d7b.jpgIMG_20190823_222648.thumb.jpg.a1d7a9c255fb52b7d21a88c16a4aed9c.jpg

• Like 2

Keep at it Fred! It will happen and it will be all the sweeter when it does.

Your pics are awsum.

sucks about the flat,We always got flats up on the north rim G&F dude back in the 80's gave wife and I a ride to st george and back when we was hunting 13a one year, I got one flat and on the way to go get it fixed I got another, just lucky enough that he happened to be driving down the road. told me to always carry 2 spares up there.., funny didnt have flats for a few years after that, then one day in 12a west we got a flat. wife was like go to town and get it fixed. figured I had one extra spare so would keep hunting.   wrong got another flat about 3 hours later heading to indian hollow. that drive up to ferdonia was Quiet ;).

Bad part is if your out on the weekdays there is hardly anyone on some of those roads for days. weekends are that bad. and the anti hunters and anti loggers used to spike the roads back then.

Good luck

Cool dead head, I got the same card reader and I hate it. Just ordered a card reader that hooks up to a phone or computer.  I've been enjoying your posts and pics, looks pretty dang fun!

Thanks for all the info you shot my way. Big spring definately looked promising and I heard a couple guys just killed off of it.  We also had a 5 hour detour to Kanab for truck problems, had to change out my alternater in the napa parking lot. But i got my cams set and i have all the confidence i need for my hunt even without the cams. Between old posts, emails from members here and boots on the ground I'm sittin pretty!

Good luck dude!

Ps, if you go into Kanab I hear Wild Thyme has great food!

• Like 1

Here is one of my misses from Saturday.  @1:12.5 you can see the buck drop around a foot.  

• Wow! 1

34 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Keep after it Fred!

Shelvin I have four painful days at work than I will be back for ten.  Kinda a good thing, I have to get confidence back into my shooting

• Sad 1

Sorry buddy, that sucks!  Shake it off and get your head back in the game!  Misses simply happen!