Couestracker

Out of state hunters

AZGFD has enacted laws against bringing certain animal parts into Arizona from out of state. These "parts" are typically what you bring home after a successful hunt, at least I do.

Some of the changes;

* Meat has to be deboned or processed

* Capes cleaned so there's no soft tissue

* Skulls or skull plates and teeth free of soft tissue

* Velvet antlers have to be treated

It's going to force hunters to either do a lot of extra work out in the field, which would be tough to do in warm weather, or have animal processed in that state, including taxidermy. The other option is not hunt out of state.

I've hunted in New Mexico for 15 years, this New rule May change that.

Here's the link to the notification:

https://www.azgfd.com/arizona-game-and-fish-department-enacting-changes-to-protect-arizonas-elk-and-deer-from-chronic-wasting-disease/

9 minutes ago, Couestracker said:

AZGFD has enacted laws against bringing certain animal parts into Arizona from out of state. These "parts" are typically what you bring home after a successful hunt, at least I do.

Some of the changes;

* Meat has to be deboned

* Capes cleaned so there's no tissue

* Skulls or skull plates and teeth free of tissue

* Velvet antlers have to be treated

It's going to force hunters to either do a lot of extra work out in the field, which would be tough to do in warm weather, or have animal processed in that state, including taxidermy. The other option is not hunt out of state.

I've hunted in New Mexico for 15 years, this New rule May change that.

Here's the link to the notification:

https://www.azgfd.com/arizona-game-and-fish-department-enacting-changes-to-protect-arizonas-elk-and-deer-from-chronic-wasting-disease/

I was reading through that as well thinking it was gonna make things alot more complicated.......what data do they have showing this has anything to do with the spread of CWD?

Just now, Non-Typical Solutions said:

I was reading through that as well thinking it was gonna make things alot more complicated.......what data do they have showing this has anything to do with the spread of CWD?

I have no idea. I have never let my kill party with, or have contact with, a live deer/elk, which is only way to spread the disease.

3 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’ve never driven on a road with a check station coming into AZ from other states. How will this be enforced?

Seems like the only way would be through processing or taxidermy.

44 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Never even detected here, big business..

Curious on the big business thingy??

That being said, I'm also very curious about many of the questions already posed.  Is this already in effect???  I hunted pronghorn in New Mexico with my sons last weekend.  Luckily we de-bone our meat, but without incriminating myself, I will say that our normal tact would have to bring the head and/or horns along with us too.  🙄🤨

Yikes!

S.

• Like 1

They just took the money out of our local taxidermist’s hands.  Not a very well thought out statute and definitely a knee jerk reaction, IMO.  

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, stanley said:

Curious on the big business thingy??

That being said, I'm also very curious about many of the questions already posed.  Is this already in effect???  I hunted pronghorn in New Mexico with my sons last weekend.  Luckily we de-bone our meat, but without incriminating myself, I will say that our normal tact would have to bring the head and/or horns along with us too.  🙄🤨

Yikes!

S.

This is about CWD, which effects cervids, elk and deer.

I assume the rule is effective immediately, since no date was given.

45 minutes ago, BOHNTR said:

They just took the money out of our local taxidermist’s hands.  Not a very well thought out statute and definitely a knee jerk reaction, IMO.  

If  CWD is brought into the state, not only will the  taxidermist's loose money, the wildlife will suffer and hunters will have far less tags to draw.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Couestracker said:

This is about CWD, which effects cervids, elk and deer.

I assume the rule is effective immediately, since no date was given.

Like you, I was kind of assuming immediately, but was curious if there was anything specific about the date published. 

Ya, I of course know it is about CWD. ;)   I also know that it appears it affects elk/deer/caribou/moose (as stated in the article).  The article does not specify that the transport restrictions only apply to those species though ("Hunters from out of state may only bring the following animal parts into Arizona.....").   The wording paints a broad stroke regarding 'animals'....

Suppose I'll try to find more specifics on the rule if possible, as opposed to just this one article.

S.

4 minutes ago, stanley said:

Like you, I was kind of assuming immediately, but was curious if there was anything specific about the date published. 

Ya, I of course know it is about CWD. ;)   I also know that it appears it affects elk/deer/caribou/moose (as stated in the article).  The article does not specify that the transport restrictions only apply to those species though ("Hunters from out of state may only bring the following animal parts into Arizona.....").   The wording paints a broad stroke regarding 'animals'....

Suppose I'll try to find more specifics on the rule if possible, as opposed to just this one article.

S.

Good point, however it does mention elk and deer: "by enacting rules regarding the possession and transportation of elk and deer into Arizona "

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, photofool said:

If  CWD is brought into the state, not only will the  taxidermist's loose money, the wildlife will suffer and hunters will have far less tags to draw.

Are you aware how it is actually spread?  

Since I have a whitetail tag there for October, I called New Mexico Game and Fish to discuss the matter, and to inquire about meat processors and taxidermist.

I was surprised to find out they didn't know Arizona was doing this.