Couestracker

Out of state hunters

3 minutes ago, AZbowhntr said:

Sounds about the same as we deal with every year when we go hunting in Mexico and bring back antlers and capes.

Not even close to the same. Border cares about paperwork and ticks, that's it. CWD is of no concern with them. They never even look at the deer meat.

The point is just jump through their hoops and it isn't a big deal.  Unless your bringing velvet antlers back just do what they ask and you are fine.  It isn't going to be the end of the world.

10 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Is there evidence that CWD has been present in AZ and everywhere else? I know some people theorize that it has always existed in wildlife populations, and there is no known genesis of the disease, but to claim it’s in this state and always has been sounds like a stretch of any data that is currently available.

It’s not considered “stretching” data when there is no data to stretch.  Essentially we start finding CWD when we start looking for it.  States will ramp up their surveillance for it and all the sudden they find it and claim it “spread”.  I 100% promise you that my home state of ND would still be CWD free if they went back to 2010 (or rather had maintained) surveillance methods, which was essentially not looking for it at all short of mandatory testing of all dead captive elk and deer. (Hence why they always “find” it in captive herds first).  Follow the “wrath” of CWD and you’ll find the good ol days of deer hunting anywhere it’s been “found”.  

• Like 1

My biggest concern was velvet antlers since I just dont want anyone messing with my velvet bucks. I called Clay Goldman one of the premier taxidermists and law abiding guys in Az and he received some info i would like to pass on...

Quote---Ok, you can bring deer and elk in from out of state.  The catch is, they have to be taken directly to a licensed taxidermist or meat processor.  You can't process them yourself.  Please spread this around to anyone you know that might be wondering. Just FYI I didnt verify it but I would trust. Clay with my life

• Like 4

So, I guess it’s now illegal to make bone broth from foreign deer or elk in AZ?

I cant bring the bones home?

This doesn’t make sense.

Logo

GAME AND FISH NEWS

Aug. 22, 2019

AZGFD asks hunters to help keep
Chronic Wasting Disease at bay   
Arizona remains CWD-free due to surveillance efforts

Mule_Deer_-_Buck_-_2.JPG

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department is asking hunters to continue doing their part to help keep Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), a neurodegenerative wildlife disease that is fatal to deer and elk, at bay.

With the start of big game hunts right around the corner, all successful deer and elk hunters are encouraged to bring the head of their harvested animal — especially bucks and bulls — to any department office statewide between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. The preferred method for delivery is to place the head in a heavy-duty plastic trash bag, and keep it cool and out of the sun.

The department also requests hunters to provide accurate hunter information (name, telephone number), as well as hunt information (hunt number, game management unit in which the animal was harvested, state and hunting license number). This information is crucial should a positive CWD sample occur. 

Department officials did not find any cases of CWD in the 1,200-plus deer (mule and white-tailed) and elk that were harvested by hunters and voluntarily submitted for testing in 2018. Game and Fish has been testing for the presence of the disease in Arizona since 1998. While CWD has been found in the neighboring states of Utah, New Mexico and Colorado, the disease has not been detected in Arizona. CWD has not been documented to cause disease in people.

CWD is transmitted and spread by animal movement and direct contact, which means the illegal importation of a cervid carcass or parts with brain or spinal column tissue of an infected animal could introduce the disease into Arizona. To that point, an individual is only allowed to possess, transport or import the following portions of cervids lawfully taken in another state or country:
  • Meat that is boneless or has been commercially butchered and packaged
  • Finished taxidermy mounts
  • Skulls that are mounted or clean skulls/skull plates without any meat or soft tissue
  • Antlers that are hard-horned or velvet antlers that have been taxidermied
  • Hides without any meat or soft tissue
  • Teeth without any tissue attached
For information about importation of harvested animals in other states, please contact that state’s wildlife management agency. For more information about CWD, visit the Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance website at http://cwd-info.org/.

It may take longer than a year before an infected animal develops symptoms of CWD, which can include drastic weight loss (wasting), stumbling, listlessness and other neurological symptoms. CWD can affect animals of all ages, although it’s most frequently noticed in older animals. CWD is fatal, and there are no treatments or vaccines.

All hunters are advised not to shoot, handle or consume any animal that is exhibiting abnormal behavior or appears to be sick. Wear latex or rubber gloves when field dressing deer or elk. All hunters are asked to call the department at 1-(800)-352-0700 if they see or harvest an animal that appears to be sick.  
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2019 at 7:40 AM, yotebuster said:

It’s not considered “stretching” data when there is no data to stretch.  Essentially we start finding CWD when we start looking for it.  States will ramp up their surveillance for it and all the sudden they find it and claim it “spread”.  I 100% promise you that my home state of ND would still be CWD free if they went back to 2010 (or rather had maintained) surveillance methods, which was essentially not looking for it at all short of mandatory testing of all dead captive elk and deer. (Hence why they always “find” it in captive herds first).  Follow the “wrath” of CWD and you’ll find the good ol days of deer hunting anywhere it’s been “found”.  

AGFD tested more than 1,000 deer and elk in 2018. 

• Like 1

They are the only state the restricts velvet antlers, though.  Funny how their press release explains how CWD is spread (brain tissue and spinal column fluid) yet there’s never been a documented case of CWD spread via velvet antlers.  So why restrict it?  

2 hours ago, BOHNTR said:

They are the only state the restricts velvet antlers, though.  Funny how their press release explains how CWD is spread (brain tissue and spinal column fluid) yet there’s never been a documented case of CWD spread via velvet antlers.  So why restrict it?  

Take a look at Montana's regulations, when they say  • Skull plates or antlers with no meat or tissue attached I would assume that means no velvet.  So far every state that has restrictions has this clause.    If CWD infects enough animals, it will probably reduce the herd in the long term. Other states have seen deer populations decline when CWD infects 20 to 40 percent of a herd. In Wyoming, heavily-infected herds of mule deer declined 21 percent per year and whitetails declined by 10 percent. Colorado saw a 45 percent decline in infected mule deer herds over 20 years. Clearly, if left unchecked, CWD could result in largescale population declines.  
 This is from Montana website.  Arizona is surrounded by CWD positive states so why wouldn't the state do everything it can to try and keep the disease out as long as possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 654321 said:

Take a look at Montana's regulations, when they say  • Skull plates or antlers with no meat or tissue attached I would assume that means no velvet.  So far every state that has restrictions has this clause.    If CWD infects enough animals, it will probably reduce the herd in the long term. Other states have seen deer populations decline when CWD infects 20 to 40 percent of a herd. In Wyoming, heavily-infected herds of mule deer declined 21 percent per year and whitetails declined by 10 percent. Colorado saw a 45 percent decline in infected mule deer herds over 20 years. Clearly, if left unchecked, CWD could result in largescale population declines.  
 This is from Montana website.  Arizona is surrounded by CWD positive states so why wouldn't the state do everything it can to try and keep the disease out as long as possible.

Wouldn’t that be awesome if the Kaibab or Strip ended up with 20-40% herd reduction. Just what we need.