Sign in to follow this  
MT_Sourdough

Unit 17a, 17b and 18b archery hunters- Heads Up!

I just came back from up there.  There are currently 2 fires burning in the Camp Wood area.  The Sheridan fire is closer to Bagdad and the Pemberton Fire south of CampWood Road.  I had a talk with a Game and Fish Warden up there and he told me that they plan to let both fires burn.  In fact they are adding ignitions to the naturally started fire to assist it's burn.  The Warden said that the fire crew plans to let the Pemberton Fire burn all the way to the Camp Wood Road.  Right now the fire is a few miles to the south of Camp Wood Road.

As the Warden explained, if and when the Pemberton fire gets near Camp Wood Road, they will close the road.  He said, if you are already up there, you may need to leave via the Bagdad route.   It sounds like they anticipate that around this weekend.

The Sheridan fire also poses a possible threat to the Bagdad route as well.

The warden suggested a person might look for alternatives to hunting in the area.

So Heads Up to anybody planning on hunting in the area over the next week or so.

• Like 1

Camp wood burns every 5 years or so in some place. Besides the deer herd up there is not in very good shape anyways. Before all the limited opp elk hunts came about it was a hidden gem for archery deer hunting. Now its crowded and the deer are not as plentiful. Hence only 175 deer tags in 17a.

I do not see anything making the claim, but I am assuming Camp Wood rd is now closed.  They ignited several points along the road today.  Their map shows multiple fire pts right along the south side of Camp Wood Rd  and they are calling it part of the Sheridan fire.  The east side of Camp Wood rd will likely get a similar treatment with in the next couple of days as a north edge of the Pemberton fire.

I have a camp set up there.  I assume it will be safe where it is at, but I probably wont be able to get near it for a few days.  Time to make new plans for Friday morning.

4 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

Yea, that was true as of a couple of days ago.  They had taped off all the roads and trails heading south from Camp Wood Rd.  There were signs with the tape that warned of fire closure.  At that time, Camp Wood Rd itself was still open, but now that the fire has been ignited right along the road, as the warden suggested would happen, Camp Wood Rd. is probably closed now.  Like I said previously, I have not seen anything that states that the road is actually closed, but the warden said once the fire is near the road, as it is right now, then the road would be closed.

https://wildlandfire.az.gov/wildfire-news

10 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Yea, that was true as of a couple of days ago.  They had taped off all the roads and trails heading south from Camp Wood Rd.  There were signs with the tape that warned of fire closure.  At that time, Camp Wood Rd itself was still open, but now that the fire has been ignited right along the road, as the warden suggested would happen, Camp Wood Rd. is probably closed now.  Like I said previously, I have not seen anything that states that the road is actually closed, but the warden said once the fire is near the road, as it is right now, then the road would be closed.

https://wildlandfire.az.gov/wildfire-news

Reading the closure order, it appears Camp Wood Rd is open.  

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd655756.pdf

Have a camp up there also, but have found very limited info on whether or not the camp wood rd is open. Heading up around 2 today and hopefully will be able to get some more info.

26 minutes ago, kfallsrob said:

Have a camp up there also, but have found very limited info on whether or not the camp wood rd is open. Heading up around 2 today and hopefully will be able to get some more info.

FROM AGFD:

Aug. 21, 2019

Wildfire will affect some deer, bear hunts
in Prescott National Forest
Closure area includes portion of Game Management Unit 17B

PHOENIX — The Sheridan Fire, burning 23 miles northwest of Prescott in the Prescott National Forest, is forcing the closure of an area within the forest’s Chino Valley Ranger District.

The closure will affect those hunters who are planning to hunt deer and bear in parts of Game Management Unit 17B. The archery-only nonpermit-tag season for deer and general season for bear in that unit begins Friday, Aug. 23. 

The closure near Camp Wood Road is for the protection of the public and to allow U.S. Forest Service personnel to effectively manage the lightning-caused wildfire, which has burned almost 3,500 acres. Areas outside of the closures will remain open to hunting.

A map of the closure area, along with the full Public Safety Closure Order, is available on the Prescott National Forest website. A community meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m. today (Aug. 21) at Prescott High School’s Ruth Street Theater, 1050 Ruth St., in Prescott.

For more information, call (928) 777-2200. 

I just got off the phone with a dispatcher for Prescott National Forest and she said Camp Wood Rd is CLOSED until further notice.  On the east side, the closure starts at the Las Vegas Ranch gates and on the West side by Yolo Ranch/ Forest Service Boundary.

1 hour ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I guess this guy just got a reprieve.  47485465_IMG_0750(2).JPG.ca385802a9c0dd3dd3752ada290d49a1.JPG

Pm sent