Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

Pinpointing downed animal

You know the range of the animal and general area. Get in the vicinity of your downed animal and range your shooting nest. Follow the “lateral line” of that range. 

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

Never knew it was so complicated and daunting.

Nobody has stated it is complicated or daunting.  I only asked as a point  of conversation. 

Oh look, a conversation about a hunting topic!  

You're welcome. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Nobody has stated it is complicated or daunting.  I only asked as a point  of conversation. 

Oh look, a conversation about a hunting topic!  

You're welcome. 

Don’t worry about him. If you never kill anything you don’t have to worry about recovering it. Also, he has to get his 10 negative posts a day quota in. 

• Like 7

I take a picture from where I shot, when I am sure the animal is not gonna move anymore.  I take an unzoomed pic, then a medium-range pic, and a zoomed pic (using binos, etc.).  I make sure I take pics with an identifiable landmark in them.

Next, I hang a piece of orange flagging (long and loose, so it flaps in the breeze) close to where I shot (hard sometimes).  Then I try to hang another piece of flagging in line with where the animal is down, as best I can (in front or back...just make a mental note).

Start hiking to where the animal is.  

Use the pics and flagging to vector myself in to the downed animal.

Last, and certainly NOT least, go back and get the flagging when I am done.

Never stop looking. The fist elk I killed dropped within 40 yards of when it got hit. 200 yard shot. My brother stayed at the shot location and we had a good old brotherly agument over walkie talkies while he guided me in. Still took 30 minutes. I have never had to do a long search solo. 

Good points for finding downed animals but even better  for archery spot and stock.  I have more issues relocating bedding game that I glassed up across canyons.    Hopefully use some of these strategies this weekend 

• Like 1

Just drop everything in its tracks on every shot. Never missed yet. Not once. 

Just kidding. Combo of mental pictures of everything in the surrounding areas of where I shot from to where I shot to. Never really failed with that process in 30 years of big game hunting. Small circles until sign is found then lots of very slow searching without trampling your path. Always looking backward to see where an animal went forward. 

5 hours ago, grey curse said:

Good points for finding downed animals but even better  for archery spot and stock.  I have more issues relocating bedding game that I glassed up across canyons.    Hopefully use some of these strategies this weekend 

Yeah this is a really good point...that’s probably hardest for me figuring out where bedded buck is after hiking over closer to move in on a stalk. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Never knew it was so complicated and daunting.

I've killed and helped kill a few deer in the wallow fire burn and everyone of them was hard to find even with the picture, rangefinding method. The grass is tall and all the fallen burnt trees look the same.  

The picture taking method  and rangefinding help. As does leaving a buddy from where you shot from and have him vector you in. 

54 minutes ago, SHOOTER said:

I've killed and helped kill a few deer in the wallow fire burn and everyone of them was hard to find even with the picture, rangefinding method. The grass is tall and all the fallen burnt trees look the same.  

The picture taking method  and rangfinding help. So does leaving a buddy from where you shot from and have him vector you in. 

When I saw this I thought it was SEEKER not SHOOTER.  I left disappointed in the coherence of your post.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When the grass is up to your butt and when you get up a hillside couple hundred yards from shot it does end up taking some searching around. Last year a newbie in our group got confused after a shot and took a picture the wrong clump of mesquite. Luckily my son kept checking out every likely clump of trees and came up with his buck about 40 min latter. By the time we headed out it was pitch black, 2 miles back in, rough broken oak hills and country new to us as of that AM. Dead reckoning back to camp with about zero ability to reference anything in the dark was  a bit of an adventure.

• Like 1