Sign in to follow this  
AzDiamondHeat

Pinpointing downed animal

On 8/21/2019 at 2:56 PM, TOBY said:

sight and go on a garmin plus a rangefinder

Exactly this, and this is my only problem with onx and similar mapping apps. 

For those of you who dont know.. on most gps is a feature called "sight and go". You range the spot with a rangefinder, type in the distance on your GPS and point t it to lock the direction. When you get there the unit chirps to let you know.  This reason and this reason alone is why I still have my Garmin GPS.  If Gaia or onx figured this chit out it would be a game changer.

I can't believe I never knew this about the Garmin.  I use my Garmin religiously and thought  I knew it pretty well.  Guess I should read the manual one of these days.   Lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Exactly this, and this is my only problem with onx and similar mapping apps. 

For those of you who dont know.. on most gps is a feature called "sight and go". You range the spot with a rangefinder, type in the distance on your GPS and point t it to lock the direction. When you get there the unit chirps to let you know.  This reason and this reason alone is why I still have my Garmin GPS.  If Gaia or onx figured this chit out it would be a game changer.

I didn't know about this either.  I pretty much stopped carry a gps with me for most hunts since smartphones do most of what I need.  Good to know.

10 hours ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

I can't believe I never knew this about the Garmin.  I use my Garmin religiously and thought  I knew it pretty well.  Guess I should read the manual one of these days.   Lol

I checked my Map60CSx and didn't find it after searching all the menus. I have never really mastered it anyway and only use it to mark waypoints or find me way back at the end of the day.

• Like 1

I’ve used the point and go on my old garmin. It lead me about 70yds below where i needed to be. Left and right was on but up and down was skewed a bit.

The key to finding them is the crows, usually the following day.  They will often run through places you can't follow, and with the blood drops only visible from a couple steps away now, it's maddening. I've found wolves nearly a km from where I fought them. I can't tell you how many times I've found a deer I shot many days later in a place you'd never have thought they'd go, and only by investigating crows.  The pass time trick does work, because the animal only physically moves as far as it would in the seconds of real time, but it bleeds for the hour(s) of game time. I personally feel like that's an exploit, and I don't use it. If I am unable to track it, I search for crows the next day.

52 minutes ago, fireplanes said:

The key to finding them is the crows, usually the following day.  They will often run through places you can't follow, and with the blood drops only visible from a couple steps away now, it's maddening. I've found wolves nearly a km from where I fought them. I can't tell you how many times I've found a deer I shot many days later in a place you'd never have thought they'd go, and only by investigating crows.  The pass time trick does work, because the animal only physically moves as far as it would in the seconds of real time, but it bleeds for the hour(s) of game time. I personally feel like that's an exploit, and I don't use it. If I am unable to track it, I search for crows the next day.

You fought wolves?  Is this Liam Neeson from "The Grey"?  

And that sucks that you have had to use crows to find downed game several times.  All that meat gone to waste.  

• Like 3

On 8/24/2019 at 10:01 AM, PRDATR said:

I checked my Map60CSx and didn't find it after searching all the menus. I have never really mastered it anyway and only use it to mark waypoints or find me way back at the end of the day.

GOOGLED it and found where it's at.

5 hours ago, fireplanes said:

Do you live in Arizona? 

5 hours ago, fireplanes said:

Good first shot placement will cure that problem plus making sure you have enough gun and bullet for what you are hunting I’ve killed a lot of game and the farthest I’ve had an animal move after being whacked is 30 yards