Bigfish86

Unit 9 bull archery hunt

With elk hunts quickly approaching if you had a unit 9 bull tag for archery in sept would you hunt more of the rolling hills with big cedar and junipers or would you go more north into the pines my scouting has not produced much for me due to them only being very short trips because of family obligations so just looking for tips and pointers any and al info is much appreciated thanks everybody.

5 hours ago, vitalzone said:

Hunt where the elk are at

Really I wouldn't have thought of that 😂 guess I've been doing it all wrong and considering it is only my 2nd elk hunt ever.

what I meant is, dont iimit yourself to just a specific area, as in, cedar juniper or pines.

If your not seeing good sign, or seeing elk, move immediatly.

Hunt the Elk, not the country

• Like 1

find water.  Unit 8 is a dust bowl, with no rain in sight.  I am sure 9 is the same or drier.  Cows and calves will be hitting water probably daily.  Once the rut starts the bulls will  be close by.  I helped on a hunt in 2016, we saw almost all elk near water before the hunt and only one bull.  Rut started, bulls appeared like magic.   Good Luck on the hunt, should be a great year for antler growth. We saw some giants in 2016, so this year should be better if that's possible.  PM me if you want some starting points.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2019 at 10:24 AM, bonecollector said:

the bulls are going to be moving soon looking for their ladies. Just get out there in the dark and listen then go chase them down.

This. Call at night 

• Like 1

I saw a bull today in Flagstaff that was taken in unit 9... very, very nice bull indeed!  I'm guessing 350-360 or so.  I did not have my cell with me or would have posted the pic.