Sign in to follow this  
swwildlife

G&F misleading public

the Arizona Game and Fish is misleading the public on the rules for importing deer and elk into the state. If you have received emails or have been on G&F website, you have been told that it is illegal to import any raw or unprocessed deer/elk into the state. this is to protect our herd from chronic wasting. THIS INFORMATION IS WRONG. you can bring your out of state deer/elk back home to your licensed taxidermist/meat processor. here is an email from the Game & Fish to taxidermist and meat processors that help them collect samples for testing.

All,

Thank you for your patience while we work to resolve this issue.

We have met with leadership in AGFD's Law Enforcement Program and have come to a resolution.

According to the Arizona Game and Fish Commission Rule R12-4-305, out of state hunters may only import into Arizona and possess the following portions of cervids lawfully taken in another state or country:

• Boneless portions of meat, or meat that has been cut and packaged;

• Clean hides and capes with no skull or soft tissue attached;

• Antlers, clean skull plates or skulls with antlers attached with no meat, soft tissue OR antler velvet attached;

• Finished taxidermy mounts or products; and

• Upper canine teeth with no meat or tissue attached

Because of this rule, there have been concerns regarding your ability to lawfully collect samples from animals harvested out of state. We have worked with leadership in the Law Enforcement Program and have agreed that hunters will be permitted to bring their out of state harvest into Arizona in a condition other than above only if it is transported directly to a licensed meat processor or taxidermist. You may still accept these animals, and hunters will not be held liable. However, please be aware that hunters submitting samples from out of state harvests will be sent a letter informing them of recent changes to this rule.

These laws are enforced in an effort to protect Arizona from the spread of Chronic Wasting Disease, an effort you have been instrumental in achieving. I appreciate your continued support of this program and our mission to keep Arizona CWD-free.

Sincerely,

Arizona Game and Fish Department

azgfd.gov | 5000 West Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086

the G&F has been email blasting and posting news releases without telling the whole truth. There is nothing wrong or illegal with you wanting to bring your animal back to Arizona to your licensed taxidermist /meat processor. even if their information says different, I know a lot of the out of state seasons have already started, so please share this with as many people and pages as you can.

thanks

Southwest Wildlife Taxidermy

• Like 7

They were obviously caught flat footed and didn't realize the confusion that this would  cause. Glad to see a resolution.

• Like 2

It would, indeed, be nice for them to clarify.  The wording above is consistent with their approach back in 2013 when they first put those regs in place.  I called some level-headed connections as soon as I saw what they were originally proposing because I was headed to south Texas deer hunting.  They way it was originally written (and is currently being blasted out), you'd have to stop in New Mexico or at the AZ/NM line and bone everything out.  Texas law is, from my recent memory, that the game can be quartered or whole, but not boned out until it reaches its final destination.  I pointed out the legal situation they would be putting everyone in by their demands.  AGFD Law Enforcement actually called me and we had a great talk about the legal demands and moral/ethical situation of having to bone out your animal on the side of the interstate or at a rest stop to comply with two states' completely opposite laws and how some processors can take up to a month to get everything processed to bring back legally.  I'm sure I wasn't the only one complaining, because the wording changed to exactly what was written above shortly after that.

• Like 1

Not the first time AZGFD has overstepped and gotten their hands slapped. My personal favorite were past attempts to supersede the 2nd amendment by tell archery hunters what firearms they could and could not have in their possession while archery hunting. The AZ legislature had to step in and shut that stupidity down.

I appreciate AZGFD, genuinely believe that they do a pretty great job overall, and are very well intended. Just seems that sometimes they try to roll things out without a lot of forethought and due diligence.

• Like 4

Woah.... no velvet antlers... say it ain't so. Are they going to hold taxidermist accountable for taking in velvet antlers? That's stupid and makes no sense. Ed F

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rossislider said:

I appreciate AZGFD, genuinely believe that they do a pretty great job overall, and are very well intended. Just seems that sometimes they try to roll things out without a lot of forethought and due diligence.

Your second sentence sounds just like my company! Haha.....Can get frustrating!

1 hour ago, chuckster said:

It would be nice if they issued a formal statement clarifying this issue.

I just heard they will be releasing a new statement first of next week, lets just hope it actually clarifies the rule. in working with them its like they are walking on egg shells and don't want to say anything for fear someone will not agree with them.

Deer and elk hunters headed to the field this fall should be aware that a number of states have adopted new regulations pertaining to the transportation of hunter-harvested deer and elk. These regulations are in response to growing concerns about the spread of CWD, and are an attempt to minimize the risk of spreading the disease into new areas.

The number one objective in the management of CWD is to prevent its spread. One theoretical mode of disease transmission is via infected carcasses. Since the suspected infective agent (prion) is concentrated in the brain, spinal cord and lymph glands, the most common regulation is the prohibition of the importation of whole carcasses harvested from CWD areas. Some states, like Colorado, also have established regulations addressing the transport of deer and elk out of CWD areas. Generally, states that have adopted carcass transportation regulations do not allow the importation of any brain or spinal column tissue and allow transport of only the following:

• Meat that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately). • Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached. • Meat that has been boned out. • Hides with no heads attached. • Clean (no meat or tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached. • Antlers with no meat or tissue attached. • Upper canine teeth, also known as “buglers,” “whistlers,” or “ivories.” • Finished taxidermy.

The following states and provinces have adopted some form of carcass transportation regulations:

• California • Colorado • Illinois • Iowa • Manitoba • Michigan • Minnesota • North Dakota • New Mexico • New York • Oregon • Rhode Island • South Carolina • Utah • Vermont

Since these regulations are continually evolving, it is recommended that before hunting hunters check the CWD regulations in their home state, the state in which they will be hunting and states in which they will travel through en route home from their hunting area. Most state wildlife agencies provide regulations information on their websites, and may be accessed through the CWD Alliance website’s CWD LINKS page http://www.cwd-

Its just a matter of time before all states have regulations that have something to do with CWD