Up in unit 6a/5bs hunting deer, dont know much about the area and havent seen much deer, so i dont know if its the area or just me.  Would really appreciate any help, will be here all week through september 1st, thx

• Haha 1

You have to hunt for them.

I don't know 5bs but I know different areas of 6a are glassable. Do you know how to glass with a tripod and 15s, because that's very important? Typical deer hunting is all about glassing, but in flat units where you can't get up high to glass I'm not sure how most guys do it.  I do know starting a mineral lick a good mile or so off the road is a good start in those flat units. But that is a long term investment and it's too late for you to do that now.  Also sitting water holes right now is useful, be sure to check tank perimeter for buck tracks and not just does.  Other than that the guys that hunt flat units can be more useful.

Asking where deer are on your first post is not good on forums, people are more willing to share and help after youve been here for awhile.  You would probably be better served offereing to help on someone else's hunt that has experience.   Sometimes putting your hunt on the back burner and helping someone else is worth it's weight in gold for the knowledge that you gain.  There are lots of great people that will help you learn but there are no freebies here.  I joined here like 3ish years ago and I now have lots of numbers in my phone, plenty that helped me and plenty I've helped. Case in point, i scored a bison tag this year and because of the kind folks here i have absolute confidence im gonna fill my tag this year.  Invest some time here and you will never need a guide on a hunt and you will learn a lot.  

If your up to the drive you can come down my way and I will take you out to show you some stuff, but I primarily hunt Coues not Muley.  

• Like 1

Water!  Look for water.  Then walk around the water.  Chances are, you'll see you Muley tracks around the water's edge.  Then look for the deer's trails coming and going from the water.    

At this point, you can set up at the water and sit it at the break of dawn and at dusk.  Looking for muleys in the middle of the day, in this heat, would most likely prove futile.  Middle of the day is good for scouting water sources for areas with more deer activity than others.  

Another tactic is find a good elevated glassing position that is in the vicinity of water source.  Sit at that glassing sight at dusk and dawn looking for deer coming and going from water.  Once you glass some deer, plan your stalk.

6 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Water!  Look for water.  Then walk around the water.  Chances are, you'll see you Muley tracks around the water's edge.  Then look for the deer's trails coming and going from the water.    

At this point, you can set up at the water and sit it at the break of dawn and at dusk.  Looking for muleys in the middle of the day, in this heat, would most likely prove futile.  Middle of the day is good for scouting water sources for areas with more deer activity than others.  

Another tactic is find a good elevated glassing position that is in the vicinity of water source.  Sit at that glassing sight at dusk and dawn looking for deer coming and going from water.  Once you glass some deer, plan your stalk.

I've always heard for whitetail up north glass in the am and evening, from 12-2 you sit water.  Do Muley not water mid day?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I've always heard for whitetail up north glass in the am and evening, from 12-2 you sit water.  Do Muley not water mid day?

I have shot mule deer at 1-1:30 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wish2hunt said:

I have shot mule deer at 1-1:30 

At water? I'm just asking. I reqlly don't know Muley at all.  Although, they are next on my hit list. 

I just had that same conversation earlier today.  Some dude woke me up when he came in to the tank I was sitting to check his cam.  He justified coming in despite my truck parked at the entrance, by saying the hunt is over at 8.  I agreed.  Then I said but the coues come in around noon,  He said "Really?"  I laughed because he is the one with the trail cam on the water hole.  I am sure he already knows.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't upset about him coming in.  Heck I was sleeping.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MT_Sourdough said:

I just had that same conversation earlier today.  Some dude woke me up when he came in to the tank I was sitting to check his cam.  He justified coming in despite my truck parked at the entrance, by saying the hunt is over at 8.  I agreed.  Then I said but the coues come in around noon,  He said "Really?"  I laughed because he is the one with the trail cam on the water hole.  I am sure he already knows.  Don't get me wrong, I wasn't upset about him coming in.  Heck I was sleeping.

So seriously though, do you find Muley water at sun up and sundown and not mid day?

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

At water? I'm just asking. I reqlly don't know Muley at all.  Although, they are next on my hit list. 

Yes they will drink in the middle of the day also.

• Like 2

I had two muley bucks jump out in front of me on my way home.  It was about noon or so, but more often then not, they just hang up all day.  A game warden from Tonto National Forest told me that when i first came to AZ about 10 years ago and I find it to be largely true.

• Like 1