codyhuntsaz

Never thought i would turn this tag back in

19 minutes ago, Beaton said:

5b

Not to open a whole other can of worms, but a guy i know has that rifle tag and he is turning it back in too. Not a lot of big bucks this year apparently. He had 26 or 27 points. A gentleman on here, him and his son are in 5b now on the archery hunt and they haven’t found a buck over 80”. He kept the tag because he drew it with less than 5 points. 

3 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Hog hunter be like.....

A976AB63-E024-441F-B5E1-67DB587F0975.png

Let's be real, its a down year, hoghuntr ain't gonna want (another) donated tag on a down year. 

• Haha 2

More of the same.  Been up once, lot’s of goats but only one decent one in two days. 

• Like 1

If you donate your tag, is that the same as turning it back in?  You get your BPs back?

As I said on the phone, I do not think I could turn a 26 year wait tag back in.  I couldn't do it on my 18 year elk tag 2 years ago, in a sucky mistakenly drawn unit on a bad year.  I just scouted 26 days, and killed the first decent bull I saw.  I was happy with the results, because I had put forth my best effort on a long awaited tag.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

If you donate your tag, is that the same as turning it back in?  You get your BPs back?

As I said on the phone, I do not think I could turn a 26 year wait tag back in.  I couldn't do it on my 18 year elk tag 2 years ago, in a sucky mistakenly drawn unit on a bad year.  I just scouted 26 days, and killed the first decent bull I saw.  I was happy with the results, because I had put forth my best effort on a long awaited tag.  

Yes, you get all your points back and you get a bonus point as if you weren’t drawn. I don’t understand why anyone would buy point guard and not use it in that situation either, but to each their own. 

29 minutes ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Yes, you get all your points back and you get a bonus point as if you weren’t drawn. I don’t understand why anyone would buy point guard and not use it in that situation either, but to each their own. 

Keep in mind, if you draw the tag next year, and break your leg a week before the hunt, you're screwed. 

• Like 1

I don’t blame you turning it in with 26 points! My buddies GF has the tag and we’ve spent 13 days scouting (5 days on the Bo) and have turned up 2 bucks right at 80 and 1 that might be 81-82”. Only 6 points and first goat tag so no point to turn it in, but wow the quality is lacking at best. I have heard of a few people turning their rifle tags in because you could go to Wyoming or NM any year and kill better bucks! Good luck on the draw next year and kill a giant worth those points 🤟

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Keep in mind, if you draw the tag next year, and break your leg a week before the hunt, you're screwed. 

Yep, that’s the chance I’m taking. I’ve never not been able to go on a hunt in 27 years, let hope this doesn’t bite me in the butt

1 hour ago, codyhuntsaz said:

Yep, that’s the chance I’m taking. I’ve never not been able to go on a hunt in 27 years, let hope this doesn’t bite me in the butt

You can hunt antelope in a cast. I know a couple people that have done it.

• Like 1

You know I mean it too. 

Just not sure what you are going to shoot it with....I mean, you have no ammo for your .300WM....oh wait....

4 minutes ago, lancetkenyon said:

You know I mean it too. 

Just not sure what you are going to shoot it with....I mean, you have no ammo for your .300WM....oh wait....

I know you do! I’ll be picking those kill pills up soon! 

• Like 1

a lot can happen in a year...good luck with your decision ,glad its not me

• Like 1

So is the quality down because all the bucks shrunk? Or because alot of the top tier bucks get shot every year and none of the up and comer 2 and 3 year olds made the proper jumps in growth this year because of the excess winter and spring moisture?