codyhuntsaz

Never thought i would turn this tag back in

55 minutes ago, creed_az_88 said:

So is the quality down because all the bucks shrunk? Or because alot of the top tier bucks get shot every year and none of the up and comer 2 and 3 year olds made the proper jumps in growth this year because of the excess winter and spring moisture? 

I believe your second statement is the case. In that unit, 2015 and 2016 were exceptional years, tons of big bucks killed. I think between that, the amount of tags given with the high success rate, predation and a wet year, the unit hasn’t had a chance to bounce back properly. I only saw a handful of fawns while scouting.

The good news is not at the game and fish has banned Predator tournaments the antelope numbers should increase dramatically! Wait I think I have that wrong... The BO didn't invite any of us on there this year to shoot yotes. They want money. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I guess I'm just dumb, but I dont understand how "extra" moisture is a bad thing for horn growth and fawns.

There is a popular theory that wet years are bad for antelope, it goes something like this.....high moisture years basically “water down” the nutrients in the plants they eat (more water, less nutrient dense). They can eat less and feel fuller. That’s one theory. Another one I’ve heard is that on dry years it forces them to eat a whole other plant source, because their normal food source isn’t as available. The dry year food source isn’t as palatable, but much higher in protein, leading to better horn growth. As far as the fawn crop being low, i attribute that to the coyote problems. 

• Like 1

I guess I got really lucky to find a decent buck.    On a side note, we saw one really big buck in unit 9 that I'd gladly share the location to if somebody on here has a unit 9 tag. The wet winter definitely didn't affect his horn growth too bad. 

• Like 1

Last year the biggest buck we saw was on the border as well.  

• Like 1

Sneak over on the REZ, get a buck, then take photos of him by the powerlines off Espy Road.

i spent 5 days in 10 hunting with my bow. 26 miles of stalking goats/ walking back to truck. killed my buck solo on day 4 at 130pm. unit 10 does suck now. quality an quanity is so low. i killed the biggest buck i could find. i knew what i was getting into after scouting. but i gave it heck an never busted my butt so hard to earn an animal. not for the weak 

3B764A66-7F11-4903-8D8D-A1A8224D1FD2.jpeg

• Like 13