Sign in to follow this  
grey curse

Thoughts on use of point guard

The scenarios that have been brought up in previous posts do not concern me.  I have already used my copious amount of lope points to get a good friend drawn for a tag.  He went hunting, I donated mine to a worthy organization and feel really good about doing so.  When I do finally pull my permit, come heck or high water, I'm going hunting. 

Got a ton of deer points (19), when I finally draw 13B and am part of the max point pool, I will likely exercise PG and donate that tag to a worthy organization.  I'll hunt the following year.  Providing a wounded vet with an opportunity for a hunt of a lifetime is a good thing.

• Like 7

Even for those that "abuse" it how many times can they really do it? Maybe once every 12 years. And it's the others on the tag that benifit not really the pointholder.  Its not like they are gonna kill a monster 2 years in a row.  

There are several well known hunters that draw deer and elk tags in prime units every year or two because of this. Randy Ulmer has drawn 4 or 5 Unit 13B archery deer tags in the last 6 years. Others have done the same. This isn't always as rare as many of you seem to think.

15 hours ago, bonecollector said:

I have no problem with it. The person building the points has to buy a license every year, app fees, and PG fees. Its a revenue maker.

Although I now have a senior lifetime license, I did that for many years and now because of medical issues, I'm done hunting. So I'm sitting on 18 points for antelope, 19 for elk, 24 for bison, 6 for deer ad 4 for sheep.

27 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Although I now have a senior lifetime license, I did that for many years and now because of medical issues, I'm done hunting. So I'm sitting on 18 points for antelope, 19 for elk, 24 for bison, 6 for deer ad 4 for sheep.

Are you saying they’re for sale 😁

What people haven’t pointed out here is that the tag doesn’t go unused.  It get reissued.  So someone still burns points every year to utilize that tag.  The main problem with point systems is lack of turnover thus leading to point creep.  In this case as long as the tag gets reissued and someone claims it, the turnover occurs and that’s what keeps it going.  It is kind of a dick move to drop a primo tag in the next high point guys lap with no time to scout, but I’ve never heard anyone complain. 

2 hours ago, yotebuster said:

The main problem with point systems is lack of turnover thus leading to point creep.

This is more of the point I was making and how it effects everyone.  Thus being the reason “why are you concerned with how other people live their life?“    Also with as many people saying they think this use of pg is legal and morally okay.  It effects draw odds, Maybe not by much but still effects it.  Also if tags are donated back to an organization “ which I think is the only way a tag should be returned” no points are used thus increasing point creep.  

3 hours ago, yotebuster said:

What people haven’t pointed out here is that the tag doesn’t go unused.  It get reissued.  So someone still burns points every year to utilize that tag.  The main problem with point systems is lack of turnover thus leading to point creep.  In this case as long as the tag gets reissued and someone claims it, the turnover occurs and that’s what keeps it going.  It is kind of a dick move to drop a primo tag in the next high point guys lap with no time to scout, but I’ve never heard anyone complain. 

Grey curse is correct. A great many of the people that return tags give them to a non-profit organization. The recipient doesn't use any of their own points, so these primo tags are being used with no depletion of bonus points to the other hunters that are competing for those hard to draw tags like there would be if the tag were returned to G&F and resold to the next hunter that would have drawn.

Ugh.....   Hate hijacking an original post, but my mind is wondering now.

I thought that the points were 'averaged' between applicants when 2 or more put in on the same application???   So if one person has 10 points, and one person has none, that the group application would have 5 points (chances) in the lottery draw???

S.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AZLance said:

I have 22 Antelope points and will sell my points for anyone wanting to put in with me!  

I'm entertaining offers...

Only if it’s Unit 10. I don’t want any 80” bucks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stanley said:

I thought that the points were 'averaged' between applicants when 2 or more put in on the same application???   So if one person has 10 points, and one person has none, that the group application would have 5 points (chances) in the lottery draw???

S.

That’s correct. I think the extreme is maybe more common...if I have 8 points (which I think I do for lope) and put in with Lance who has 22, then I suddenly have 15 pts to my credit. Maybe I should PM Lance. :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stanley said:

S.

Yup, correcto. So if the guy with 10 applies with me and my 19 elk points, he winds with 15 and the average of the two for that application --total 16 numbers spit out by the computer. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yotebuster said:

Are you saying they’re for sale 😁

Well...I was thinking of putting them out there for bids, but I don't want to upset Casey. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Well...I was thinking of putting them out them for bids, but I don't want to upset Casey. 😉

Offer him a discount