Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Slick trick for Bison?

Right now I'm shooting a 29.5" Maxima with 100 grain 1 1/8" cutting diameter slick trick on the end and lighted nock.    Am I good, or should I bump it up to a 125 or consider a completely different broadhead?  I think I've heard of weight inserts?

Saw a video where a guy suggested a broadheads with a more streamlined point not something so blunt.  

I actually emailed slik-trik and they said they felt comfortable with any of there broadheads for bison, but they also suggested there sister line big big game broadhead solid two blades

My boss put a 425 grain arrow@ 70lbs with a 100 grain slicktrick through the chest of a Cape Buffalo. It you put it in the right spot they will do the job.

4 minutes ago, idgaf said:

I actually emailed slik-trik and they said they felt comfortable with any of there broadheads for bison, but they also suggested there sister line big big game broadhead solid two blades

I was hoping you would chime in.  What did you have on your bow? 

I'm seriously considering where I should sit for the hunt.  I know three good spots right on the border but don't wanna have to drag one out of the park.  The spot you sent me looked great and another spot but those two spots could get ruined by people driving too much on the roads.  

Just now, creed said:

My boss put a 425 grain arrow@ 70lbs with a 100 grain slicktrick through the chest of a Cape Buffalo. It you put it in the right spot they will do the 

Wow! How far did it penetrate?

How is your FOC? Mine improved with 125gr (no weighted insert though) and my longer range groups improved. Penetration should be improved too. 

I have posted this before but this is from a 60 lb bow, 415 grain arrow with a 125 slicktrick @ 52 yds.  I shot a 330 bull through both shoulders with it. It didn't go completely through but stuck out a couple of inches past the shoulder. Slicktricks are badass!!

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

I don’t think 25gns more up front will change anything enough to notice. A slick trick and an appropriately weighted arrow will kill anything you need it to. There will be basically zero difference in anything going from 400 to 425 grains. Now, if you bumped up to 500+, you’ll get more penetration. Stay off the shoulder and have fun

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bigorange said:

How is your FOC? Mine improved with 125gr (no weighted insert though) and my longer range groups improved. Penetration should be improved too. 

Supposed to be good on the maximas.  Also planning on being in a blind 50 yards tops, but trying to keep it 40 and under.  

5 minutes ago, creed said:

I have posted this before but this is from a 60 lb bow, 415 grain arrow with a 125 slicktrick @ 52 yds.  I shot a 330 bull through both shoulders with it. It didn;t go completely through but stuck out a couple of inches past the shoulder. Slicktricks are badass!!

GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg

Just to be clear.  Shoulder meaning bone or the thicker meat of the front quarter?

1 minute ago, creed said:

shoulder blades

Wow! I feel way better. Now I just need to address adrenaline and not rush my shot.