Sign in to follow this  
Antpv93

first whitetail hunt in unit 8

hey guys im completely new to the forum. i put in for antlered whitetail this year and didnt get a draw ( or didnt think so) . until i got a call from game and fish and they told me that someone surrendered there tag and im next in line! im ecstatic! i have a super late start and lots of planning to do with little time. 

anyhow, my question is.. what types of terrain do whitetails like in unit 8? do they like the ponderosa? or the hot prairie? or the steep rugged canyon?

im aware of coues and how they prefer rugged canyon but im not sure if the whitetails in this northern arizona area are going to have the same habits. 

what do you all think?

21 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

How many points did you have? Not sure I would have accepted the tag if you had a handful of pts.

Thats going to be a tough hunt. 

Who f'n cares, he is excited about it and its his tag.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Antpv93 said:

hey guys im completely new to the forum. i put in for antlered whitetail this year and didnt get a draw ( or didnt think so) . until i got a call from game and fish and they told me that someone surrendered there tag and im next in line! im ecstatic! i have a super late start and lots of planning to do with little time. 

anyhow, my question is.. what types of terrain do whitetails like in unit 8? do they like the ponderosa? or the hot prairie? or the steep rugged canyon?

im aware of coues and how they prefer rugged canyon but im not sure if the whitetails in this northern arizona area are going to have the same habits. 

what do you all think?

There in there, we usually see them on the southeast side of the unit around sycamore canyon usually right on the edges, we have seen them as high whitehorse lake but not often. also seen them as far west government canyon, Saw a small drop tine a few years back while archery hunting elk up that way.

if it was me hunting I would hang out around sycamore canyon look out and west along those canyons south of J.d. dang

one good places to start is head to the sycamore canyon look out places. just after you leave the pines a few miles before the end of the road, there is a sharp turn south(left) small valley on the east side that goes into the canyon. but get out and go on the west side that drops into the fingers of the canyon . lots of muleys in there also so be very sure what your shooting. good glassing in that area also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Delw said:

Who f'n cares, he is excited about it and its his tag.

Maybe cause the last line in his post says “What do you all think?”

I said what i thought, and I wasnt talking to you

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 9/1/2019 at 7:44 AM, thegunsmith2506 said:

I have the same tag and I think its going to be a tough hunt. 

It may be tough but it will be loads of fun. Congrats on the tag! Happy hunting my friend. 

Early in the season is tougher for sure.  At least from what I have observed.  I do not spend much of my time in the deep canyons so what I have seen more whitetail bucks in December and January.  Right now, I can find WT does super easy right along common roads, but the bucks don't show up until closer to the rut.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MT_Sourdough said:

Early in the season is tougher for sure.  At least from what I have observed.  I do not spend much of my time in the deep canyons so what I have seen more whitetail bucks in December and January.  Right now, I can find WT does super easy right along common roads, but the bucks don't show up until closer to the rut.  

Yup. That is why I think it will be a tough hunt. It's a great time to be out in the woods though. I am pretty sure we can find a few bucks, just not sure we will be able to get at them. The lack of rain could really help.

They are up in the pines but like what was stated before.  Not very many and they are hard to hunt there.  I would stick to the sycamore 

Focus on the rough canyons friend. Use your map ( Flatline or OnX) to find glassing points. Get away from the roads and put some boots to the ground. Big rocks, rough terrain, and oak trees are what you want. Small, small water sources near by. Challenging hunt, but they are often the most rewarding. Big'uns are in there. Best of luck!! (Image is a spike, not a "Big'un" but is gmu8)

IMG_20191005_131207.jpg

On 10/24/2019 at 5:53 AM, thegunsmith2506 said:

Just a heads up to anyone with this hunt. The fire is causing lots of smoke on the east side of the unit. Good luck! 

is the fire on the far east side?. where abouts?

I got a muley hunt next week but going to be on the far far west side