NewlyMinted

Using an angular Spotting Scope

Hi everyone,

I'm scouting for my first ever Coues hunt in early October. I'll be hunting solo in a remote-ish area and have been using my 12x50s on a tripod and felt really comfortable. They are Vortex Diamondbacks which was in my budget. I know they aren't on the high end, but I'm spotting deer and they are working for me until my hunting-savings account fills back up to consider something else.

My question is about the spotting scope. I'm borrowing a 27-60x85 Razor HD spotter for the next 2 months and I took it for a spin yesterday and am confused if I'm an idiot or just need to adapt. I do have the ocular twisted out so it's sitting at the right distance for my eye.

The eye piece is huge, my 12x50s fit snug into my eye socket and I have a clear wall to wall image. the spotting scope eye piece is too big to get up close and I seem to be dancing around to get the full FOV. It's also a lot dimmer and almost washed out. Now I know it's going to be collecting less light so the images are going to be less intense, but going from diamondback binos to razor spotter I figured the increase in quality would make them more comparable.

I'm learning that my own expectation on anything related to hunting is usually the causes of my first and largest mistakes, but I'm hoping for some simple pointers here.

Should there be an eye cup I didn't get for the eye piece?

How can you put a 2" eye piece up against my eye without it being hit or miss?

It's a angular scope so if I'm sitting with the bino's in my tripod and trying to switch to glass up the same deer with the spotter it's a nightmare to deal with. Should I not be sitting? Do I bring a second tripod?

I'm hiking about a mile from the truck across rugged ground and the spotter is effing heavy. Any insight would be phenomenal.

Thank you!

Most of the time I don't twist out the eyecups. Sounds like you also have it zoomed all the way in.  Zoom it all the way out to minimum power and focus it.  Its best to find your target on lower power then steadily zoom in and adjust the focus as needed.

I'm not a fan of angled spotters for the reason you mentioned and I definately don't carry 2 tripods.  Also big spotters are heavy. I use a 65 mm so its not so tough to lug around.  

• Like 1